84 Monte Carlo Engine Swap...or Camshaft Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Well for starters, I pulled my lifters and have verified elsewhere that they are shot/worn. I'm told if the lifters look that way, the camshaft is more than likely worn too.

Here is a video I shot of the inspection process...

I'm told that it isn't worth saving the 305 H.O. and to just swap it out with a 350.

Due to the constant failing of flat tappet lifters and camshafts, I'm advised to find a roller 350 Vortec from a 1996-2000 truck, Suburban, or Tahoe and put that into my 84 Monte Carlo.

What do you guys think, is that an easy swap ?

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
There were guys here in some of your earliest posts on this forum telling you this.

Other than another SBC, the vortex will be the easiest.

Those engines were in the trucks during those years. Finding one to just pull and stick in your car that isn't clapped out, will be tough.

Save your money and buy a reman/rebuilt engine. You can find someone local to you. You can buy online from many places. You can get short block, long block, and complete engine.

Also, prepare for the possible "I Told You So's"

You took the long way to get here, but you ended up where many of us thought you would.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
There were guys here in some of your earliest posts on this forum telling you this.

Other than another SBC, the vortex will be the easiest.

Those engines were in the trucks during those years. Finding one to just pull and stick in your car that isn't clapped out, will be tough.

Save your money and buy a reman/rebuilt engine. You can find someone local to you. You can buy online from many places. You can get short block, long block, and complete engine.

Also, prepare for the possible "I Told You So's"

You took the long way to get here, but you ended up where many of us thought you would.
I'm talking to another mechanic that I've been talking to for a while and he's very knowledgeable about my work and what I'm dealing with.

It's already verified that a remanufactured engine is not in my budget and rebuilding the Vortec wouldn't be as near as expensive (and useless) as rebuilding my 305, unless I wanted to put a bigger cam in the Vortec, then I would only need to replace the lifters push rods and valve springs.

You're right, finding one that won't be clapped up might be tough, but on the other hand, if the telltale signs show that it's a good motor then I'm going to pull it and buy it.

My 305 still runs strong, I'm putting everything back together that I took apart and I'm going to run it and build on the 350 Vortec while I drive the 305 until it fails or until I'm done rebuilding and ready to put the 350 in.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you find a good running non Vortec SBC you can always add retrofit roller lifters and roller cam, I have this set up in my 355SBC that is in my Regal.
And by the way I told you so. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Well, running an engine that already has metal in it all through it.. good luck.

I'm talking to another mechanic that I've been talking to for a while and he's very knowledgeable about my work and what I'm dealing with.
So when you say this, whose advice are you going to listen to, and with all the knowledge here is it worth anyone's time to chime in?

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well, running an engine that already has metal in it all through it.. good luck.

So when you say this, whose advice are you going to listen to, and with all the knowledge here is it worth anyone's time to chime in?
I don't like to add to his threads after reactions on what good truthful advice others who have mechanic shop experience has told him. There has been so much non GBF info used over what members have told him or he ran to other sources to get the answer he wants even if it was a waste of what little budget he has to get it running right & SAFE to use. He should of punted the car sometime back & found something reliable since he has a baby that needs more attention than this rat trap Monte. For what he spent on shiny speed parts for a "race" engine, there could be a nice daliy driver sitting in the driveway. BTW I still believe the car will burn itself down from the really bad & unsafe wiring in it. Maybe some expert on Facebook will save his car.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
What do you guys think, is that an easy swap ?

It's an easy swap when you have tools, money and more than 8 functioning brain cells but time and time again you have proven that you have none of those things, so what are you really asking?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
while the rest of the guys are being dicks about it, the question does come down to this:

if your mechanic knows so much and you take his word for it, what are you doing here asking questions and then ignoring member recommendations?

if a reman engine is out of your budget (and those are CHEAP) then in all likelihood a rebuild is out of your budget. parts for an SBC are so cheap that you really can't beat the price-value ratio of a reman.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor