84 Monte Carlo Engine Swap...or Camshaft Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Here's a thought exercise for OP. If you were to spend every hour that you used asking questions and blackholing hypotheticals working a part time job, would you have made enough to purchase a better daily driver? My math says yes.

The same fact remains from when you started posting over a year ago. You can't afford this car. That's not a personal dig against you, it's just the reality of your current situation. Get this POS running and sell it. Maybe in a few years when your circumstances have improved, you can buy another project. It's currently a liability, not an asset.

Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Well for starters, I pulled my lifters and have verified elsewhere that they are shot/worn. I'm told if the lifters look that way, the camshaft is more than likely worn too.

Here is a video I shot of the inspection process...

I'm told that it isn't worth saving the 305 H.O. and to just swap it out with a 350.

Due to the constant failing of flat tappet lifters and camshafts, I'm advised to find a roller 350 Vortec from a 1996-2000 truck, Suburban, or Tahoe and put that into my 84 Monte Carlo.

What do you guys think, is that an easy swap ?

If you wiped the camshaft then the engine is on its deathbed. Might not be dead yet but it will rapidly deteriorate as it grinds itself to death. GM sells some decent Vortec 350 crate engines such as this https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19432779/10002/-1.

Other thing is to keep a look out for good used engines up for sale, its how I got my currant engine.
Here's a thought exercise for OP. If you were to spend every hour that you used asking questions and blackholing hypotheticals working a part time job, would you have made enough to purchase a better daily driver? My math says yes.

The same fact remains from when you started posting over a year ago. You can't afford this car. That's not a personal dig against you, it's just the reality of your current situation. Get this POS running and sell it. Maybe in a few years when your circumstances have improved, you can buy another project. It's currently a liability, not an asset.

If he wiped the cam, the motor is trashed which renders the car pretty much a roller now. In turn, the resell value of his car has taken a huge hit. Still it may be best for the OP to cut his losses at this point. The old car hobby isn't cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
If you wiped the camshaft then the engine is on its deathbed. Might not be dead yet but it will rapidly deteriorate as it grinds itself to death. GM sells some decent Vortec 350 crate engines such as this https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19432779/10002/-1.

Other thing is to keep a look out for good used engines up for sale, its how I

If he wiped the cam, the motor is trashed which renders the car pretty much a roller now. In turn, the resell value of his car has taken a huge hit. Still it may be best for the OP to cut his losses at this point. The old car hobby isn't cheap.
correction...even if you have the skills, it ain't cheap

350 SBC $2000

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
This got better than I thought it would.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
If you find a good running non Vortec SBC you can always add retrofit roller lifters and roller cam, I have this set up in my 355SBC that is in my Regal.
And by the way I told you so. ;)
Good idea with a retro. BUT have you checked the price for the rollers and the cam. That STOCK vortec moves a 3/4 ton truck down the road with a load very well. It can move a 3500lb car with ease. You might need a electric fuel pump as most are not drilled for a mechanical one. Simple inline one works well and you will need the intake. New $160-180 or look for a used. 400HP upgrades are easy. GM HOT CAM and a set of LS valve spring or Comp. bee hives will also work. There are so many up grades for the vortec motor just a little looking will find what you want. Start with a hyd roller block and leave the flat tapped problems behind. 383 stroker kits for the one piece seal block are easy to come by and make big power with a hyd roller cam.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
correction...even if you have the skills, it ain't cheap

350 SBC $2000
At that rate it’d be cheaper to refresh a used Vortec/roller block engine, provided he scrounged.
...and then his worn out TH350 and lame geared 7.5?
I’d just say rebuild the TH350, but ham sammich budget.

Reactions: 1 user

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
Damn, that sucks... but it is what it is. Maybe now you'll listen? We shall see...

The engine is done. There's no saving it at this point. Short of a full rebuild, it's toast.

Since you're still on a budget don't let perfect be the enemy of good. If you don't have the funds for a 350, don't get a 350. Find someone local pulling a 305 for their own swap, and if it's in running condition, pick it up for a couple hundred bucks and get back down the road.

The 305 is a decent engine and I would definitely drop one in if I had to choose between a 305 and no car at all. If you can't find a good 305, you may have to use it as a core for a reman from the myriad of companies that have a 305 reman available. That's still going to be expensive, but it'll be several hundred less than a 350.

Either way... I understand wanting to fight to keep your car. But sometimes you need to do a cost/benefit analysis and see if it's worth it to keep... it's been a money pit, so far, and I'm pretty sure you still haven't found the bottom yet. Once you get a good, strong engine in it what else is going to break? Is the trans only holding on because the 305 you had was only pushing 100 ponies out the back? What about the rear end? Who knows? Hopefully you can get a good running engine in it and nothing else explodes after that.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Damn, that sucks... but it is what it is. Maybe now you'll listen? We shall see...

The engine is done. There's no saving it at this point. Short of a full rebuild, it's toast.

Since you're still on a budget don't let perfect be the enemy of good. If you don't have the funds for a 350, don't get a 350. Find someone local pulling a 305 for their own swap, and if it's in running condition, pick it up for a couple hundred bucks and get back down the road.

The 305 is a decent engine and I would definitely drop one in if I had to choose between a 305 and no car at all. If you can't find a good 305, you may have to use it as a core for a reman from the myriad of companies that have a 305 reman available. That's still going to be expensive, but it'll be several hundred less than a 350.

Either way... I understand wanting to fight to keep your car. But sometimes you need to do a cost/benefit analysis and see if it's worth it to keep... it's been a money pit, so far, and I'm pretty sure you still haven't found the bottom yet. Once you get a good, strong engine in it what else is going to break? Is the trans only holding on because the 305 you had was only pushing 100 ponies out the back? What about the rear end? Who knows? Hopefully you can get a good running engine in it and nothing else explodes after that.

Exactly, I am running a 305 and a 2004r from a MCSS as the seller was LT1 swapping his Monte. But this was back in 2007 and sadly such pull out deals are going to be less common now. Even if the powertrain is sorted out, what about the body, frame, brakes, and suspension? With the age G bodies are at now, most are going to be advanced projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor