84 monte column shift indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
I swapped in a tilt column from an ss.im still going to use the column shifter and indicator in the cluster for now.everything is together but I cant get the shift indicator to work at all.it seems as if the wire that clips to the bowl is way too long or something.to line up properly the wire has to clip on the bowl way down by the bottom wrapping half way around the column.am I missing something here?does it wrap around a clip or something else I don't see first or does it go right from the indicator to the column bowl?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I have to look on mine as I have a member interested in what I don't need as I swapped to a stick. There is a return spring for the indicator and the cable goes from the column sleeve to the indicator. I suspect the cable has worn into the plastic or the cable/sleeve attachment is slipping

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
i just took the pod out to do the lights.the indicator assembly looks fine.the cable seems to be routed properly in the assembly.does anyone have a pic of roughly where this is clipped onto the column bowl.could there have possibly been one of these with an extra long cable for some reason?
I may just shorten it if I have to but everything looks fine.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
You say it doesn't move at all. Does the column move when you switch gears ? Its a really basic system where the cable clips to the column. As the bowl on the column moves it pulls the cable which is attached to the gear selector needle which indicates which gear you are in. When setting it up put the car in neutral and pull the cable and clip it when it lines up with the N. Then check D&R for fine turning the placement.
When I switched from 3speed to 4 speed trans I used the same cable and needle ( just swapped out the faceplate behind ) so there is no difference

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Here's a couple of pics of a shift indicator and cable routing..

Yp2BIP.jpg

NCxSYT.jpg

the cable measures 9" from loop to end of clip. Below is a pic of about where it should clip onto the column..

5wlIpB.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
thank you so much! those pix explain everything.
it is indeed 9 inches long and that it roughly where it would clip as long as the pic was taken while it was in park.

Reactions: 1 user

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
ok so I finally got around to messing with this again.
in the pic above mine would need to clip right around the very bottom of the shift bowl not to the right like the one in the pic.
also if I shift it into first and set the indicator to 1,it will not line up with park once shifted there .it falls short.
I cant get any position of clipping it on that works out.
could the shift bowl possibly be a different diameter?
the car is a 84 plain jane monte non tilt , and the tilt column is from a 87 ss.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Look at the above pics. I suspect that the cable is not routed properly or a guide is broken. If you pull manually how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor