84 Monte Cruise Woes - It floors it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordoba1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2022
Hello everyone:

I'm new here, this is my 2nd post. I posted a couple pictures of my new, very original, 1984 Monte Carlo SS. What brings me here is an issue with the cruise control. I've searched the web and forums, but couldn't fine a similar complaint. What happens is this: When attempting to set the cruise control, the system engages and opens the throttle to wide-open. Hitting the brake or shutting the system off closes the throttle. This behavior tells me that the general components are working: Servo, brake-switch, the stalk, etc.

Any ideas what might cause this and what possible solutions I might try?

Thanks! Very much looking forward to getting to know my G-Body as well as I knew my J-Body Mopar.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My money would be on the R/A (resume/accelerate) slide switch hanging up or malfunctioning. When you bump it, the cruise is only supposed to go up one mph or so, or if you hold it the car will accelerate to the "new" cruise speed. Sounds like the switch is messing up or shorting somehow, acting if someone is holding the R/A switch all the way over. Even when you're not touching it. If I'm right, the only real fix is to replace the stalk. I seriously doubt it's the cruise box "controller" under the dash above the accelerator pedal. I mean, there's no moving parts. It's just a circuit board. But anything could be possible.

In 1984, they had the switch style on the stalk without the "ledge" underneath the slide switch. I believe it was sometime in 1988 or 89 thereabouts, the superseded stalk WITH the ledge replaced the original style. So finding an original looking one is difficult at best. Heck, now just finding a GM one is difficult.

There's a copy of the K34 Cruise Control system troubleshooting manual here. It may prove helpful. There's a stalk diagnostic procedure on page 4-4.

This also leads to the old axiom:
YOU WILL NEVER KNOW YOUR G-BODY AS WELL AS YOU WANT TO. NOBODY DOES.

I've been playing with G-bodies for nearly 40 years and I still don't know everything I need to know. I learn something new all the time.

As for the stalk, 25031456 is the part number you seek if you have the pulse (delay) wipers. If you just have the 2 speed wipers, then you would be looking for p/n 25031457. Or equivalent aftermarket.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Additionally, if you don't care about the ledge, you can get the GM superseded part of 25111260 (with delay wipers) or 25111261 (with 2 speed wipers). If you can find those. There was one more supersession but it was all black and shaped more like a hotdog. It's so ugly it should never be mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user

Cordoba1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2022
My money would be on the R/A (resume/accelerate) slide switch hanging up or malfunctioning. When you bump it, the cruise is only supposed to go up one mph or so, or if you hold it the car will accelerate to the "new" cruise speed. Sounds like the switch is messing up or shorting somehow, acting if someone is holding the R/A switch all the way over. Even when you're not touching it. If I'm right, the only real fix is to replace the stalk. I seriously doubt it's the cruise box "controller" under the dash above the accelerator pedal. I mean, there's no moving parts. It's just a circuit board. But anything could be possible.

In 1984, they had the switch style on the stalk without the "ledge" underneath the slide switch. I believe it was sometime in 1988 or 89 thereabouts, the superseded stalk WITH the ledge replaced the original style. So finding an original looking one is difficult at best. Heck, now just finding a GM one is difficult.

There's a copy of the K34 Cruise Control system troubleshooting manual here. It may prove helpful. There's a stalk diagnostic procedure on page 4-4.

This also leads to the old axiom:
YOU WILL NEVER KNOW YOUR G-BODY AS WELL AS YOU WANT TO. NOBODY DOES.

I've been playing with G-bodies for nearly 40 years and I still don't know everything I need to know. I learn something new all the time.

As for the stalk, 25031456 is the part number you seek if you have the pulse (delay) wipers. If you just have the 2 speed wipers, then you would be looking for p/n 25031457. Or equivalent aftermarket.
Thanks for the idea.... I'm going to exercise the switch, perhaps it's just dead from age. That was the case with the brake switch: A kind fellow pulled up next to me to tell my brake lights weren't working. Checking the brake switch on the brake pedal reveled that it was seized in its closed position. Fortunately Autozone had a replacement for only 15 bucks. I'll follow the lead on the stalk-switch, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I had a 80s camaro that did that. I never did get it to work without flooring it. The only thing i didnt change was the stalk. Wish i had learned that back then

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor