84 regal, 350 Chevy no oil through push rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
Bought this motor few years back its a goodwrench 350. Replaced oil pan gasket, oil pan was dented. Didnt look too bad so I put it back on.

We got the engine all ready in the car, cranked it today and no oil is coming up through push rods. It's a stock goodwrench 350, it's obviously been ran because it had black oil in it. Dont know where to start, thinking to buy new pan, pump and screen.

Please advice, here's pic of motor when pan was off
Resized_Screenshot_20200209-183842_Gallery.jpeg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you have oil pressure when you primed the engine?
I would also replace your oil pump shaft with one with a steel sleeve.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
We cranked the engine (didnt start it), started it for a second and still had no oil coming through. Not sure what's going on, my friends good with small blocks he didnt really know why either

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
We cranked the engine (didnt start it), started it for a second and still had no oil coming through. Not sure what's going on, my friends good with small blocks he didnt really know why either
So are you saying you didn't prime the engine first and verify the oil pressure before cranking the engine?
You have it out was it on a stand?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
The pan is dented a bit around oil pickup, doesn't seem like it would affect it. It didnt impede putting the pan back on

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would start by priming the engine with a gauge, when you hopefully see decent oil pressure slowly turn the engine over by hand (ratchet, breaker bar etc) and see if oil gets up through the lifters.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor