84 Regal w/ 350 SBC update

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJNJ201

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2021
So last time i posted here i was complaining of drivability issues such as rough idle, lots of vibrations, stalling, carb popping, lack of power etc. After a few failed attempts at having the car diagnosed by a mechanic, i decided to grab the wrenches and start figuring sh*t out myself 😂 This is what i checked, found and changed.

Spark Plugs - All 8 Autolite plugs were fouled. Replaced all 8 with correctly gapped platinum plugs.

Plug wires - Cylinder 7 and 8 wires underneath were burnt, cracked and open in several areas with electrical tape holding it together by the header which looked like it was on there since 1985. All were replaced with NAPA Beldan wires.

Cap, Rotor and Coil - The cap on the inside was black. The connections were bad, and the rotor itself was black and just as bad. The coil was loose, and an ohms test showed it was weak. An MSD cap and rotor, and new pertronix flamethrower coil was installed. Timing was also adjusted while doing this.

After this, the car ran MUCH better. Vibration gone, the breaking up feeling gone, and ot drove much better. However, the hesitation under accel especially from idle, lack of power and throttle response was still an issue. It also stalled a bit, carb adjustments would not hold, and backpopped through the carb a few times.

Holley 4160 600 CFM Carburetor - Under inspection, and a friend who also checked, it is "shot" and needs rebuild. A local rebuilder said 350 for a rebuild and i laughed. Picked up a brand new Edelbrock AVS2 which hopefully i will install today finally after i get some help with some vaccum lines in another post! lol

I hope this cures the cars problems for good. If it still runs bad and has power issues after this, im really not sure what else the problem can be. ( theres no tapping, knocking, blowing smoke or internal engine issues that im aware of )
Any ideas what it can be if i still have issues after this? sorry for the long post. But as always, thanks guys.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wow, this is the start of a saga. Hopefully it's one more post and done.

Anxiously awaiting - Jim

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thinking exactly the same thing. Even if he needed a jet and air bleed kit he wouldn't have much in it. Hopefully the bolt on out of the box is close to to tuned correctly. And hopefully he ha sa vacuum gauge and timing light too.

PJNJ201

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2021
Thinking exactly the same thing. Even if he needed a jet and air bleed kit he wouldn't have much in it. Hopefully the bolt on out of the box is close to to tuned correctly. And hopefully he ha sa vacuum gauge and timing light too.
Just took the car for a spin. MAJOR difference in terms of the hesitation and the way it runs but the linkage needs to be adjusted and the carb itself has to be tuned a bit more. I have a lot of play on the throttle and kickdown cable and something seems wrong there. Also the primary flap has a lot of play. Still have a few things to fix up on it but the car seems like night and day already. Major power difference.

PJNJ201

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2021
And yes i have both. Timing will be adjusted and the vacuum guage will be used tomorrow. Ran out of daylight 😂

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
And yes i have both. Timing will be adjusted and the vacuum guage will be used tomorrow. Ran out of daylight 😂
FWIW, putting a set of gaskets and seals into your 600Holley is really pretty basic and CHEAP. I have to say that I hate carbs, but yours is about the simplest out there to rebuild/clean. I hope your Carter/Edelbrock works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor