84 SS brake light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Could someone help me out with a picture of the wiring that goes to the brake light switch?
I have cruise control as well. Looks like I have two switches on my brake pedal.
I pulled the dash out, now trying to get it all wired back up.
Thanks for your help, David

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

This is the switch in my '84 SS. I was intimate with it this weekend.

Do you want a pic of it installed or do you have another question. The forward pins are for the brake lights and the rear for the cruise.

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Here are my two switches..... Can anyone help with the wiring of these two switches??
7EC10D42-1E45-413C-B8B2-EB119FF12E9E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Anyone have a picture of the wires for these two switches shown above?

Thanks, David

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't have pictures presently. I can get them over the weekend (I know I already told you that - sorry - I'm lacking on follow through ;( )

There is an easy way to figure out which plug is for the brake lights if the lights are installed and functioning with a multimeter or test light.

With the switch installed correctly in the car - check continuity across the switch pins - there should be no continuity until the the brake pedal is pushed. The pins on the rear of the switch are for the transmission torque converter clutch lockup (TCC) . That part of the switch works in the opposite way - meaning it will have contiunity when the pedal isn't pushed. The white switch with the vacuum line port is for the cruise control.

The 3 plugs cannot be hooked up to the wrong pins by the design of how the plugs interface with the switches.

Another way to check the brake light switch, IF everything is hooked up electrically, is to use a jumper wire across the wires on the plugs. It's a good idea to use a wire with an inline fuse, 5-10 amp or so, to see which one lights up the brake lights.

If you need colors, then I can get that over the weekend for you - let me know. But it's kind of a pita for me to get pictures because my car has a cage in it making it difficult to access the under dash area without a little bit of disassembly.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
White Cruise Control switch (I plugged in the old one for reference that I’ve removed) - purple wire and a pink with black tracer.
4A996B9B-E5A4-4454-B321-C9864AF44CC5.jpeg
A0572488-4AD4-4BD5-9267-21B1AC4646A8.jpeg

The brake light connector is in the side of the upper switch that takes two plugs. The orange wire is hot all the time and the white wire runs directly to the brake lights. You can see that I spliced into it for the Holley to know when I’m in the brakes.

A0572488-4AD4-4BD5-9267-21B1AC4646A8.jpeg

The last plug has two spades, but 3 wires fed into it and that is for TCC lockup. It has 2 gray wires, on the same terminal, and brown wire.

My car is an ‘84 SS, so yours should be either the same or similar.

Good luck - Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Thanks for the pics. Mine is a 84 SS also.
What was confusing me was.... the orange and white plug.... my dome light is also orange and white. I just wasn't sure abut that.

Thanks again for your help.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Orange wires in most older GM’s are hot all the time, even the key is off. Your dome light works when you open the door without a key on or car running.

They use a bunch of colors as a standard. But everything is not the same. The crazy *ss dash plug is very similar across all G’s, but not identical. Fleming pointed this out to me a while back, and it makes trouble shooting a lot simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor