MONTE CARLO 84 SS Problems (305)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChilly84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2018
So I have acquired an 84 SS with the 305 and it needs some work. Its running kind of rough, making some noises. The idle isn't steady, and tries to shut off after the first start of the day. Got to rev up a little bit to keep it running on the first start. Sometimes it makes a weird high pitched ticking noise when accelerating at low speeds. It made the noise more than it didn't when I first started driving it around, now its just every once in a while. Maybe something loose or broken? New to Gbodies so any info or ideas would be great. Thanks yall.

Attachments

• 84 SS.jpg
    84 SS.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 328

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
An introduction of yourself would be nice along with a few pictures of your SS...:)

how long was the car sitting before you bought it?. Have you changed the oil and put fresh gas in it?. What do the plugs look like? Have you checked for any cracked vacuum lines and leaks?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Idle issues are generally caused by vacuum leaks. An important tool to have with these cars is a analog dwell meter to measure the air fuel mixture solenoid dwell.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Emissions stuff all still on it?

-Gonz

PChilly84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2018
I'm Patrick, 23, college student studying mechanical engineering. Wanting to get into cars and learn a lot more than I know now!

Before I got it my brother had it and was doing little things to keep it running. Drove it for a few mins like once a week. His 2nd kid is about 6 months now so he passed it to me since he has a lot less time to work on it than I do.

It was our grandpa's car, had it since new, just rolled over 100k miles about 1500 miles ago. Trans was rebuilt a year or so ago by a shop.

I've been driving it more so it has fresh gas, I think he said it hadn't been long since the oil had been changed. Have not checked for leaks yet so I will do that.

He said he checked to make sure it wasn't a squeaky belt and found that it wasn't. Hes been working on cars for years now and is currently a diesel mechanic.

What he told me is that he was removing the emissions stuff, I'll have to ask what all is still left of the emissions stuff but that's as far as I know right now.

He replaced the radiator with an aftermarket one and fans. New air cleaner. Pretty sure he said he had a guy either rebuild or rebuild and tune carb. He changed all of the gauges to aftermarket ones.

I'll prob give him a call here in the next few days and get all the details of what he's done and all.

Reactions: 1 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
What he told me is that he was removing the emissions stuff, I'll have to ask what all is still left of the emissions stuff but that's as far as I know right now.

Ok, theres a big clue right there.

The engine is made with parts that are emissions system computer controlled, and some parts that the computer Relies on.. If the parts the computer relies on are removed, you have problems. If the computer is removed from parts that rely on the computer, you have problems.

Establish where you're at with the emissions system would be my first order of business.

Carb, Distributor, Oxygen Sensors.. those are just a few examples of things that either rely on the computer or the computer relies on them. any one of those could be causing your issues.

The emissions system is an "All or Nothing" proposition. Removing it requires replacing those components listed above (and usually the intake manifold as well) with ones that are not reliant on the emissions computer.

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It'll be helpful to get the information from your brother and that should help diagnosing what the problems(s) is(are)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

PChilly84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2018
Sorry for the delay in answering about the emissions stuff, got busy. But i talked to him and he has removed all of it, except some of the harness. But, its all disconnected and he has replaced the carb and distributor and all.

PChilly84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2018
Its got the th350 3 speed, and he said is non lock up converter or whatever so he didnt install a lock up kit for the trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor