84ss Restomod build

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillaBoDilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2019
So, I have been stripping my Monte Carlo down to fix some rust issues and see what I have to work with. I have found rust in most all of the seams in the floors. I have also found that the passenger quarter panel has been replaced. The floor plan is slightly out of wack and the rear brace under the rear seat area is twisted. So with that said I have gotten down to the glass and ran into an issue. The quarter windows have been glued with what I believe the same glue as a windshield. They are in there and don't want to come out. Are the there any tricks to removing these windows that have been glued in in this manner?

Also the pans are pretty good, only a few pin holes in some areas. What is the best course of action to take for the rust in the seams and areas that are hard to address?

Attachments

• 20200206_200339.jpg
    20200206_200339.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 444
  • 20200218_194435.jpg
    20200218_194435.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 377
  • 20200206_200334.jpg
    20200206_200334.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 365
Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
That dont look to bad to me. Id Clean it up with one of these purple clean n strip wheels.
20200109_154653.jpg

Then brush on epoxy primer,rustoleum,or por 15. As for the pin holes you can mig weld the holes up and grind them down if there small enough. The windows on my ss felt like they weren't coming out either. I Pushed on the studs hard. Once it popped loose I pulled it right out. Mine was held on by butyl. I had my son stand on the outside of the window so I didn't drop it. The rust in the seams I don't know how you get rid of with out blowing the seam apart. If it ain't rusted thru you could just clean it up and epoxy over it to seal it from outside world. Then seam seal and epoxy again.

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
What are your plans?

Reactions: 1 user

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
looks good , great work space .
silly question , you have removed all 5 ( ? ) nuts holding the side quarter glass tight ? just asking.

Reactions: 3 users

KillaBoDilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2019
Yes the trim ring has been removed. The windows have 100% been glued in with a urethane that has dried hard. I've been working with a trim tool to sort of cut it out. The retainer has been removed completely. I'm slowly working my way around the glass to get it out.

I wish I took the time to document more of the car before I tore it down, I guess I was just pretty excited to start and just jumped into it. As for plans I really have a lot of ideas, but I'm leaning towards installing an LSA, 4L80e. I have another 84 that I'll be stealing a Ford 9" from. Plans are to narrow the rear frame, weld in supports where needed to eliminate the frame twist issue. As for the front suspension I'm really researching c6/c7 steering and suspension components and maybe chopping the frame at the firewall area and building new from there forward. That depends on what parts I find and if I can get the correct geometry specs I'm looking for before I start the frame build.

I'll do a mini tub in the rear, nothing to big but enough to get a nice size tire under it.

As for now im getting the body off the frame and addressing the rust. The car is overall solid however most of the lower seams and under body panel lap areas are definitely infected.

Attachments

• 20200221_135304.jpg
    20200221_135304.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 367
Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Im definitely lookin forward to the build and seeing what you come up with. Do you think heating the window glue up with a heat gun would help? Good luck on the journey.

KillaBoDilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2019
I tried heating it last night to no avail. I was removing the factory sound dampening material from the roof and gave it a shot and it didn't budge. Between the last post and this one I finished the driver side window removal. It wasn't fun. They used maybe a 1/4" thick bead of urethane for a windshield and just small amount gave me a pretty big fight.

Attachments

• 20200221_142338.jpg
    20200221_142338.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 359
Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Yes the trim ring has been removed. The windows have 100% been glued in with a urethane that has dried hard. I've been working with a trim tool to sort of cut it out. The retainer has been removed completely. I'm slowly working my way around the glass to get it out.

I wish I took the time to document more of the car before I tore it down, I guess I was just pretty excited to start and just jumped into it. As for plans I really have a lot of ideas, but I'm leaning towards installing an LSA, 4L80e. I have another 84 that I'll be stealing a Ford 9" from. Plans are to narrow the rear frame, weld in supports where needed to eliminate the frame twist issue. As for the front suspension I'm really researching c6/c7 steering and suspension components and maybe chopping the frame at the firewall area and building new from there forward. That depends on what parts I find and if I can get the correct geometry specs I'm looking for before I start the frame build.

I'll do a mini tub in the rear, nothing to big but enough to get a nice size tire under it.

As for now im getting the body off the frame and addressing the rust. The car is overall solid however most of the lower seams and under body panel lap areas are definitely infected.
What are the little holes around the qtr windows for? Mine didnt have any i just wandered why.

KillaBoDilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2019
That's how the trim ring fastens through the rubber window surround to the body

Attachments

• 20200221_150315.jpg
    20200221_150315.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 349

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Can't you cut the butyl with a thin cable like a guitar string. Poke it through, and saw back and forth til you get to the studs, then repeat. Sometimes, ya just gotta put in the work!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor