85 3.8 distributor timing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
im back with the same olds I asked questions about on brackets- the one that had top end work and new timing chain set installed. I have it all back together-ish. wanted to see it if fires before I go further. now, its been 20 years since ive dug into distributors and that information in my brain seems to be gone.
anyways, I got it to fire, but it backfires through the exhaust. turn distributor and backfires through carb. I decided to check where the rotor is pointing at TDC. I think I did THAT part right- get timing mark on balancer lined up with 0 and check rotor. first check it was about 180 degrees off. rotate crank 360 degrees and check again. now the rotor points just about at the #2 on the cap and theres no room to turn the distributor any further.
is it possible on this to have the distributor off a tooth on the drive gear(?)? if so, can I pull the distributor out and turn it a tooth(or 2?) and drop it back in?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would start over, take #1 plug out and rotate the engine till #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, then install the distributor with the rotor pointing to #1 on the cap

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
thanks,pontiacgp. that's what I ended up doing, except when timing marks lined up I didn't check to see if I was at TDC. the distributor can only drop into 2 different spots, so I turned it 180,which took a wee bit of time as I had to putt crap off to get to the clamp.got it poppin through the carb only now but ran out of energy.gonna be back on it tomorrow and start with getting back to tdc and make sure #1 it at tdc on compression stroke.

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
wellp, I got the distributor in right. fires up and runs like crap, which leads me to remembering stuff, like:
when a car owner- of a car that sat for 16 years- says the gas tanks clean, ask them,"how do you know?"
apparently some people think that sitting for 16 years the gas just all evaporates off. and that mysteriously makes the gas tank clean.
ill have to post a pic of what I pumped out before droppin the tank. funny stuff.even after adding 10 fresh gallons Saturday, the stuff looks like jack daniels. only with a crapton of crap

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that color could be from the fuel line rusting on the inside from sitting for 16 years

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Also timing chain can be an issue. I had a 3.8 in an 81 cutlass with 42k that had a trashed chain

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
that color could be from the fuel line rusting on the inside from sitting for 16 years

yup. thinkin new fuel system front to back.we shall see. owner already TRIED to get me to clean the fuel tank, but my fuel tank cleaning service is $300 with no guarantee compared to about $350 for new tank, pickup, fuel pump, and lines. just parts, of course.

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
  • strained quart of gas. not sure if this would even start a fire.
    20170412_181044.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
little update:
dropped the tank and flushed lines. NASTY!
friend was gonna pick up the tank and take it to get it lined:"i had it done a long time ago and it was $45."
I just said,"oooookkkk!"
already knew that gastank renew was about a $400 bill. good for a vehicle that there aren't repops available.
new tank, sending unit, and fuel pump on the way.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor