85 3.8 distributor timing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
boy, it would be nice it that is what it is, but since the heads were rebuilt and the knock is definately from down by the crank, that somewhat eliminates carbon knock. it could be why the car was parked 16 years ago. it could be the woman that owned it didnt notice a problem before parking it back then, or it could be something that happpened while i was workin at getting it running.
i noticed the pulley on the crank is a little wobbly.not sure what thats about.
more will be revealed today.

ill have this thing up on stands on all 4 corners to do brakelines and that fun stuff soo so ill get some pics of the fuel lines,too. maybe theres an invisible fuel filter im not aware of. :)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
noise travels in engines, if it's a rod knock and you removed the plug wire from the cylinder that has a rod knock the knock should disappear or become faint.

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
welp, i got the exhaust buttoned up. it sounds a wee bit worse now

heres a few pics of "myrtle."

20170514_142422.jpg
20170514_142405.jpg
20170514_142459.jpg
20170514_142517.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Your Cutlass is in really nice shape....I'd rather have a car is great shape with a bad engine than the other way around

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
m
Your Cutlass is in really nice shape....I'd rather have a car is great shape with a bad engine than the other way around
most definatly would rather have a bad engine. its a friends ride. he picked it up last summerish.
one of the 1st things i told him:
you should get a crate engine for it.
been thinkin of tellin him in leau of gettin my bill for work performed id gladly take the title signed off on.

Reactions: 1 user

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
surprise visit today, so i didnt have to be the bearer of bad news on the phone.
now onto choices, which although id love to do the work, im not really feelin like shade treein droppin in a 350 or freshening up the lower end, which although ive rebuilt a few engines, they were on engine stands.i dont know if the engine would have to come out to get the crank out and all that good stuff. thats not shade tree work anyways.,imo.
he wasnt too thrilled with my old school used car saleman fix- drop the pan, pull the caps, and put some leather bearings in. :)

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
welp, looks like we have a plan. first off, now the car isnt getting flipped- for now.
i live in west metro detroit and he lives in northern mi-retired there this year and about 30 miles from where i moved from 3 years ago. cars headin up to his place this week. good thing is he has an F350 and access to a car hauler,so wont cost more than gas to get it up there.
then its pull the motor and trans.hes not wanting more power, so as of now,and since the top end is fresh, look at either a crank kit or getting the crank ground. also oil pump work, timing chain set, sending units,take the trans in to someone he knows to take a look at it and do whatever, a little this,that, and the other.
so, i have a great excuse now to get outta dodge for a few days here and there.
ill probably start a thread on the work once "myrtle" get hauled up and i get up there to start the project.
or finish the project. :)
hes gonna owe me big time. ill take his dyna glide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor