85 442 white with 79r interior and 120mph speedo options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmobile85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2022
I found an 85 442 white with the 79r interior and a 120 mph speedometer. It is a 54,000 mile 1 owner now 2 owner car was bought as a valentines day gift for his wife in 85. The original owner told me he ordered the car with the 79r interior and the 120mph speedo, he also said he thinks the car was built with the 86 roller rocker motor instead of the 85 flat tappet motor... anyone heard of others with these options or is this one a little rarer than the others?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220727-205302_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220727-205302_Gallery.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 97

Oldsmobile85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2022
Original speedometer & 79r interior

Attachments

• 20211010_164152.jpg
    20211010_164152.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 100
  • 20211010_164141.jpg
    20211010_164141.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
3uiw40.jpg

That's an 87 442 speedometer. Number fonts are wrong for 1985, but correct for 1987. Ask him for a picture of the SPID and/or window sticker. It MUST show a 120 speedometer change and if it doesn't, he's bullshi**ng you. As I suspect he's trying to bullsh*t everyone else.

Not to mention the fact that NO 85 Olds 442 could be ordered with anything other than the only U21 package they had at the time, which was standard in Salon. And they all came with 85 mph speedometers unless outfitted with the Z49 Canadian conversion, which put metric gages first. And as I understand it, it MUST have been sold in Canada new with the Z49 (legally anyway).

And he's either bullsh*tting you about the roller engine or it got swapped. Which is not unheard of, but should be unlikely. MUST check the partial VIN pad on the front driver side of the block, and if it has 5A heads, there's NO WAY it can be a roller motor 307. 7A heads would lead me to want to investigate more.

Too bad it seems like he's a liar, but if he's got proof to back it up, which I doubt, then he wins. Nice looking car, but too much lying. What else was he lying about?

Stripes also appear to be aftermarket to me, so I'm guessing it got repainted as well. Door jamb areas look pretty dirty, and the cruise stalk (maybe) looks very weird (non-GM?).

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, wait, you said you "found" it, meaning, you bought it and are now the new owner? Not getting what you were saying exactly. I thought you found it and was considering on buying it.

If you bought it from the guy, then please post up a pic of your SPID sticker in the trunk and/or the window sticker if you got one. I'm curious...I can decode the SPID and tell you exactly what it came with from the factory. It also appears to have B34/35 front/rear carpeted mats, A01 tinted glass, A31 power side windows, the UM6 radio, with just bass/treble controls, U75 power antenna, N33 tilt wheel which means you have CD4 pulse wipers, too. Plus B93 door edge moldings and the TR9 lamp package. That's all I can tell from here.

Look on the intake manifold in the passenger front corner behind the water jacket. If there's an "A5" there, it's a roller intake, thus likely having 7A heads. If it's an A4 with 5A heads, it's a flat-tappet cam 307. Unless there was some heavy machining done to fit a roller cam in the 85 engine.

Oldsmobile85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2022
Oh, wait, you said you "found" it, meaning, you bought it and are now the new owner? Not getting what you were saying exactly. I thought you found it and was considering on buying it.

If you bought it from the guy, then please post up a pic of your SPID sticker in the trunk and/or the window sticker if you got one. I'm curious...I can decode the SPID and tell you exactly what it came with from the factory. It also appears to have B34/35 front/rear carpeted mats, A01 tinted glass, A31 power side windows, the UM6 radio, with just bass/treble controls, U75 power antenna, N33 tilt wheel which means you have CD4 pulse wipers, too. Plus B93 door edge moldings and the TR9 lamp package. That's all I can tell from here.

Look on the intake manifold in the passenger front corner behind the water jacket. If there's an "A5" there, it's a roller intake, thus likely having 7A heads. If it's an A4 with 5A heads, it's a flat-tappet cam 307. Unless there was some heavy machining done to fit a roller cam in the

Oldsmobile85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2022
Thanks for the reply and the info 69hurstolds I've read some of your posts you seem to know your stuff more than most. I did buy it I couldn't pass it up for the price I've had an 86 as well. This one has been sitting in heated storage garage since 1991, there is no rust underneath or on top anywhere, the owner told me the dealer told him when he bought it that it was built toward the end of 85 when they were switching to the roller for 86 & he thinks it may be an 86 roller engine in it but wasn't sure. Paint seems to be original on it from what I can see but I'm not sure about the stripes. I took a picture of the rpo tag in the trunk for you. I appreciate the info

Attachments

• 20221016_173616.jpg
    20221016_173616.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 73

Oldsmobile85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2022
The VIN if that helps at all.... the owner and his wife told me that the options on the car are the way it came when they ordered & picked up the car from the dealer speedo & all... the only 442's I've ever seen with 120 mph speedo's where the 87's wasn't sure if he was bs'ing or he did or could order it that way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221016-175251_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221016-175251_Gallery.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 76

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The VIN if that helps at all.... the owner and his wife told me that the options on the car are the way it came when they ordered & picked up the car from the dealer speedo & all... the only 442's I've ever seen with 120 mph speedo's where the 87's wasn't sure if he was bs'ing or he did or could order it that way.
69hurstolds probably has the most Oldsmobile knowledge/resources stacked up from his experience than just about anyone you're likely to meet unless you find some development engineer who worked for Olds when the cars were being made. He may not know it all, but, he also tells it as he sees it and doesn't state things as a fact for the sake of saying it... and when there's room for doubt he says that too in my years of reading his posts.

I don't know anywhere near what he does, but, in the mid 90s through late 00s I know I bought, repaired/sold, or parted a good several dozen 442s and never saw a 120mph speedo in anything but an 87 either.

The car being an 85 makes it even more doubtful of something weird at gm happening. Over the years I've seen some strange things, had it been a late 86 you might convince me gm made a car into a test mule then sent it out as a corporate demo at a dealer to sell - they did that with some corp exec cars including one ttype I actually bought and parted, but, it had title history to back up it was registered by gm before being sold at a new car dealer. This car lacks that and you really have to wonder why if a 120 speedo was around in 1985, no dealers were putting in an order in 85 or 86... You'd think they'd have popped up by now.

Doesn't take anything away from the condition of your car or that it's a nice example and worth owning. Just changes the story you should put out at a show so you don't come across as the guy making things up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Is the door jamb stickers still readable? Looks like your car was built in either December 84 or January 85. My last 6 of the VIN starts with 364 where yours starts with 360. Mine is a mid February car for perspective. The 85 442 first started showing up at Olds dealerships right around Thanksgiving 84. Ironically one year after the 84 HOs started getting built. But the 84 HOs still needed to be converted and that didn’t start happening until the last few days of November 83. Meaning 84s didn’t start rolling into the dealerships until December 83. Mine is #19 and it didn’t get converted until 12/1/83.

The car is in nice shape it seems.

I’ll do a breakdown of your SPID later. Interesting you have front carpet floor mats B34 but no rear floor mats (B35). You got aluminum front and rear bumper supports, VD6 and VD7. You have U21 which is the standard gage package. Just to note, the 1986 GM parts book doesn’t list a speedometer head for 120mph for an 85 or 86 442. They were first and only used in 87 442.

The LG8 is your 307 H.O. Engine. Flat tappet since mine is and it’s a later car than yours. Goes to reason. Another interesting deal is your car doesn’t have cruise control. Most did. Doesn’t make it bad. Just more unique.

Here’s something that seems to crop up periodically though. You car is not listed with VK5, which is a front license plate holder. But every VIN9 Olds G-body should have came with one as they didn’t have the painted version of the small flap cover for up front. They were all polished stainless or similar. HO and 442 should all have come with a front license plate holder. Weird. Seems like it’s only on the white ones. But not 100% sure on that.

Unfortunately I see nothing that says your car was outfitted with anything other than the available options for all 85 Olds 442s for 85.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm borrowing the work I did on another 85 442 SPID I did last week I think. Saves some time. :) Here's how your SPID breaks down.

ARL- Arlington build plant code
AR9- Reclining buckets, (standard on Salon)
AU3- Door locks, power
A01- Windows, tinted
A31- Windows, power side
BD2- Cutlass Salon ornamentation- Delete (Included w/W42) *Note* This deleted the trunk lock and edge trim, door rockets, and sail panel "Cutlass Salon" emblems.
BS1- Sound deadener, Extra. *Note* There is a "deluxe" sound deadener package of BS2 for extra quiet. :)
B34- Floor mats, carpet, front
B85- Moldings, wide belt reveal, bright (outside, on top of doors)
B93- Moldings, door edge guard
B99- Wheel Well Molding- Delete (Included w/W42)
CD4- Delay wipers
C60- Air Conditioning (required w/W42)
C78- Roof interior dome light, w/single reading lamp
D34- Mirror, Visor Vanity, Passenger
D35- Mirrors, dual sport, remote driver, manual passenger
D55- Console (standard on Salon)
D7I- Gear, speedo driven
D85- Stripe, special accent (Included w/W42) [not sure how this correlates with Y64, but it may be referring to the bumper stripes]
E5Z- Less speedo gear adapter
E7Z- Less speedo sleeve
F41 - Sport Suspension Pkg. (Included w/W42)
GMD- Stumped. I've seen these on GNs as well. It MAY be the rear end 8.5" housing? I don't know. Have yet to find a definitive answer on this.
GT4- 3.73 rear differential
G87- 8.5" ring gear
JM5- Disc/drum power brakes, dual diaphragm booster
K64- Generator, 78 Amp, included w/C60
LG8- 307cu. in. Hi Output V8 Engine, (Included w/W42)
MW9- TH200-4R (Included w/W42)
MX0- Marketing code for MW9
NA5- Emission system, Federal (non-California)
NP5- Sport steering wheel, leather wrapped (standard on Salon)
N10- Exhaust, Dual outlet (Included w/W42)
N33- Tilt steering wheel
N83- Wheels, Chrome 15x7 (Included w/W42)
QYH- 215/65R15 ROWL tires (Included w/W42)
TR9- Lamp Group, Convenience
TT5- Tungsten Halogen Headlamps, *Note* These were hi-beams only. (standard on Salon)
T83- Black inlay headlamp doors (Standard on Salon)
T88- Parking lamps front, amber (Standard on Salon)
UM6- AM/FM Stereo with Cassette
UQ1- Radio Provisions for Stereo
UT1- Tone generator, warning (Standard on Salon)
U21- Gages, instrument panel, (Standard on Salon). U.S. cars got an 85 MPH speedometer.
U25- Lamp, Trunk
U26- Lamp, Underhood
U27- Glovebox lamp
U29- Footwell underdash courtesy lamps
U66- Speakers, extended range
U75- Antenna, Power
VD6- Bumper Support Front, Aluminum
VD7- Bumper Support Rear, Aluminum
Not Listed, but still should have been included- VK3- Bracket, front license plate (standard w/W42) *Note* This code was not always listed but every VIN 9 car should have came with one.
VT5- Color Keyed Bumpers (Included w/W42)
V08- Cooling, Heavy Duty
V1P- Stumped. It is NOT "VIP". It's POSSIBLE it may have something to do with the body break paint lines being different than normal, but again, no verification on this.
V30- Bumper guards, F/R
V73- Statement of Vehicle Certification- U.S.
WL7- Popular Option Package Discount code *Note* Dealers HAD to put this RPO in if customer ordered the qualifying stuff, otherwise no discount.
W42- 442 package (Available on Salon only)
YT1- Deluxe Door Panel trim 442
YT9- Option package, Fisher supplied parts
Y64- 442 package ornamentation- Decals (Included w/W42)
Y78- Cutlass Salon- Changed VIN from GR47 to GK47.
11U- Upper body color- White
12L- Lower body color- Metallic Silver
6NY- LH front spring code
7YK- RH front spring code
79I- Claret interior trim
79R- Claret vinyl interior seating and upper side panels
799- Claret Seat belt webbing
8PZ- LH rear spring code
9PZ- RH rear spring code

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor