85-88 Delay Wiper Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2020
Canada
Hello I am interested in doing a standard wiper to delay wiper swap for my 87 Monte Carlo. I've found an 85 Fiero with a delay wiper switch, which I think should work since Rock Auto sells the same switch for the Fiero and Monte Carlo. The only discussions I have found about this swap only apply to 78-79, 80-81... I'm just wondering if I would need anything else? another motor maybe?

It looks like to me that the delay is all in the switch according to the wiring diagram. If I have to get into the steering column, I have to replace the turn signal return springs anyway.

(This is my first post so sorry if I ramble on a bit)

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 182
  • image0 (1).jpg
    image0 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot 2021-02-17 113726.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-17 113726.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You will need two things at MINIMUM.

The easiest is to get a CD4 (pulse, aka delay) wiper motor and wiper cover setup. The module is inside the wiper cover itself and does not come with the wiper motor. This is not reproduced to my knowledge, and is HARD AS F*CK to find new. It's best if you can find a car in the yard (if any left) that has the CD4 setup. You can convert a non-pulse wiper motor setup, I think by changing out a solenoid piece inside of it. I can't recall exactly how that's done.
GM part numbers:
Motor- 22072790.
Cover- 22039684

Then, you will need the wiper/dimmer switch itself, that's inside the column. The barrel of your cruise/wiper switch is of no real value except the ones that are set up for delay are marked so you can see what you're doing easier, but is not a requirement to have delay wiper setup.

Dimmer with wiper delay- With Tilt- 7843683

Everything according to the parts information that I can find, if you had wiper delay, you had a tilt wheel. You could get a tilt wheel without delay wipers, but a non-tilt wheel only came with 2 speed wipers.

EDIT: I think someone on here used another wiper motor and switch setup when they upgraded their wiper system, but I don't recall now who it was. They had to do a few mods but they now have delay wipers. I can't rely on my memory any more. This getting old sh*t isn't fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
You will need two things at MINIMUM.

The easiest is to get a CD4 (pulse, aka delay) wiper motor and wiper cover setup. The module is inside the wiper cover itself and does not come with the wiper motor. This is not reproduced to my knowledge, and is HARD AS F*CK to find new. It's best if you can find a car in the yard (if any left) that has the CD4 setup. You can convert a non-pulse wiper motor setup, I think by changing out a solenoid piece inside of it. I can't recall exactly how that's done.
GM part numbers:
Motor- 22072790.
Cover- 22039684

Then, you will need the wiper/dimmer switch itself, that's inside the column. The barrel of your cruise/wiper switch is of no real value except the ones that are set up for delay are marked so you can see what you're doing easier, but is not a requirement to have delay wiper setup.

Dimmer with wiper delay- With Tilt- 7843683

Everything according to the parts information that I can find, if you had wiper delay, you had a tilt wheel. You could get a tilt wheel without delay wipers, but a non-tilt wheel only came with 2 speed wipers.

EDIT: I think someone on here used another wiper motor and switch setup when they upgraded their wiper system, but I don't recall now who it was. They had to do a few mods but they now have delay wipers. I can't rely on my memory any more. This getting old sh*t isn't fun.
I believe that was wageslave, used a motor for a Pontiac Montana I think?

Sep 18, 2020
Canada
Thank you for the quick and very detailed response! I'll see what I can find at the yard, I still got the other half of winter to try and put stuff together. Definitely will check out Wageslave's thread later on.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Thank you for the quick and very detailed response! I'll see what I can find at the yard, I still got the other half of winter to try and put stuff together. Definitely will check out Wageslave's thread later on.
If you go the Bonneville wiper motor route, you are better off keeping the 2 speed wiper switch in the column that you already have.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor