85 Camino radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Putting a 5.3 in my 85 Camino. What kind of radiator and fan do I need?
Depends on how you are going to run. Daily driver needs a lot less fan and cooling area than a street rod. If funds are not an issue, a three row core with a full cover shroud is a good setup. If you run an electric fan, make sure you size the fan diameter and rpm to the maximum heat exchange you will need. A pull through fan is more efficient than a push through. A fan set for "regular" driving will be short of air flow on a street rod and you will run hot every time you step in it. Timing advance can also run the heat up with some setups. I don't have the calculations anymore but I know there is supposed to be a ratio of how much coolant the radiator holds compared to the coolant capacity of the engine. In short, you are much better off with too much cooling than you are without enough. I was taught that the closer you can get to 180 degrees while driving, the better the engine will perform when your foot gets heavy. I'm ancient though and it may be different for the LS.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I went with a Champion, a custom shroud and dual 11" Spal fans. Got it set up for 2 speed operation with a series/parallel circuit with 3 relays. Controlling it with a Dakota PAC-2750.

IMG_1565.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor