85 Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gig

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2020
San Antonio
Need some suggestions on cam,gear ratio and tire size. My motor is a 5.3 2001. Just a street car with expressway driving but enough guts to be respectful at the light. Trans is a L60E beefed up by K&B in Houston.

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
I have a similar setup, 4.8/4l80e/3.73 gear. BTR recommended their stage 2 truck cam, and Texas Speed recommended I go with their stage 3 truck cam. I specified I wanted something with good street manners along with keeping the stock converter happy. Would probably be happy with a 3.73/3.42. I do quite a bit of highway and it's a nice gear for the highway/expressway/freeway/autobahn etc...

It also wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email with your exact setup, drive train, rough vehicle weight, tire diameter, gear ratio. I got both my responses the same day. BTR within an hour, who I ended up going with more from a price point. Just wanted a few extra ponies before I take it for a final tune on 93.

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
What's a "Stage" mean?
It's just a progression of more aggressive cam profiles in the case of BTR and TSP, stage 1 being the most moderate. You can look on their websites and it will also show all the specs associated with the cam which is nice, very easy to compare and do research based on that.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's just a progression of more aggressive cam profiles in the case of BTR and TSP, stage 1 being the most moderate. You can look on their websites and it will also show all the specs associated with the cam which is nice, very easy to compare and do research based on that.
Just being a smart azz- those that sell "Stages" are a pet peeve of mine. Case in point: one manufacturer is a "2" and the other is a "3"; which one is 3/4 race?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
Just being a smart azz- those that sell "Stages" are a pet peeve of mine. Case in point: one manufacturer is a "2" and the other is a "3"; which one is 3/4 race?
Yeah, I get you, it gets really annoying especially with so many people selling re-branded stuff and snake oils, leaving out the specs and results. Everyone having different meaning and specs for different stages, gets old.

Every cam is a 3/4 race if you try hard enough, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
3/4? man i gotta count the lobes on mine see how much cam I'm running.. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
so what constitutes a "bolt on"?
"Back in the day" it meant external parts....intake, carb, headers, pullies. Things that didn't involve disassembly to reach internals. Cams were not a "bolt-on"

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor