Wow, the magic of Pine-Sol.

20161231_161024.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
There's never a dull moment. :D Quadrajet is rebuilt! There were some speed bumps along the way.

First, as I mentioned in a previous post, the throttle plate secondary shaft was seized and bent. Per L67ss's suggestion I tried to fit up the 85 electronic qjet throttle plate with my 77 carb body and everything seemed to line up and sit level. Success! Wait... not so fast. The accelerator pump rod was smaller on the 77 model than the 85. The smaller rod was way too loose when hooked into its hole and will not work.

20170105_201007.jpg

77 rod measures .125", 85 rod measures .175. Also notice the smaller rod has an extra bend to retain the accelerator pump arm. I thought simple! I'll try to use the accelerator pump arm from the 85! Upon further inspection I saw that this wasn't going to work as they each mount to the carb differently. The 77 uses the standard tiny roll pin, where as the 85 is completely different and has a much larger hole. Now what?

I began googling and trying to come up with another solution to mount the rod. Completely by chance I found a google image of a fatter rod that had the correct bends in it. This particular rod was for a Dualjet.
Q3631A-wl.jpg

According to the website it came from it was .175" and had an overall length of 3.075". I measured my .125" rod and the OAL came out to 3.065". Damn near a perfect match! I ordered the rod, opened up the hole slightly on the accelerator pump rod and it fits together like it was meant to be.
20170105_201047.jpg

The throttle plate, being an 85, had the plugs obscuring its idle mixture screws. I drilled out the plugs and removed the mixture screws, cleaned out the holes and attempted to thread in the new set of longer, slotted mixture screws that came with my rebuild kit... another fail. The threads were more coarse on the kit screws. I then cleaned up the original screws and used my dremel to slot the ends for a flat tip screwdriver.
20170105_201133.jpg

This weekend is shot due to Guard obligations, so I'm hoping the following weekend (weather permitting) to get the motor and transmission back in the car.

Reactions: 1 users

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
A major milestone checked off of the list. Still got a ways to go, but it feels good to get the engine back where it belongs. After it was installed, I was ready for a brew at 10:00 this morning.

20170128_114056.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Yeah I couldn't really remember how well my electro jet plate worked old my older quadrajet....just remembered the car ran lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor