85 Cutlass Supreme - Mulligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Last update for today - I have been looking for a frame. I have a crazy project in mind that I'm not ready to disclose yet (might get me disowned from 2 different car enthusiast groups :ROFLMAO:).

Anyhow, on a local gbody Facebook group I located a frame for free, and it came with a car mounted to it! The car itself is an 81 Calais that originally had a diesel in it (now swapped to a SBC). The interior is stripped. There are a lot of goodies that I'll be able to use for my Cutlass though, like fenders, hardtop window trim, etc. Pretty awesome score, and the previous owner was super friendly. We're going to get the motor and transmission pulled at my house for him, and I'll keep the shell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Had my helpers draining the oil from the Chevy 350 that's coming out of the Calais parts car. They do good work!
20190603_190703.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
No pictures, but I've accomplished a few things in the last week!

The biggest development is I got my frame rolling. I removed the rear springs from the Calais and secured them to the 8.8 axle tubes. The upper control arms are connected, but I couldn't t weld in the lowers until I get the 8.8 under the car and centered. After that, I rolled the frame out and started the slow, tedious process of lowering the body and getting the frame back underneath it. Pretty sketchy on concrete pad in the back yard armed with 6 jackstands, 2 jacks, piles of lumber and wheel dollies, but she's in!

I installed a new set of Energy Suspension body bushings that I've had for a few years (were bought for the Grand Prix). Got it all in, and bolted up without any issues. I had very minor distortion in the frame rails from boxing, so that was a relief.

I need to get the car back in the garage to finish welding, but the steering wasn't hooked up yet and I wasn't about to hook up my filthy, worn out rag joint /steering shaft. I remembered I had an Astro shaft tucked away from my Fbody days and went to work rotating the end 90 degrees. Got it re-installed, welded, cleaned and painted.

Progress is slow, and some days I've only got 30 minutes to tinker, but I AM making progress daily which is a good feeling.

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Oh, I did forget to mention I ordered a set of Viking coilovers for the rear which should be interesting to install. I spent more money on coilovers than I did on the entire car. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
After work today I installed my Astro steering shaft. It went in like it was meant to be.
20190612_191247.jpg

My biggest accomplishment of the day was giving the car a push through the back yard, signifying that she's mobile again! She's dirty and needs some attention, but the suspension settled into place level just like it was before I pulled it apart.
20190612_184050.jpg

Lastly, the parts car is looking mighty nervous with my Cutlass behind it licking her chops...
20190612_185053.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
20190622_111510.jpg

First donation from the parts car! The pedal is a whole lot of fun to remove, and the dash wiring being ripped apart and a total mess didn't make it any easier. Glad i got it removed, though.

I also got the engine /transmission removed for the guy who gave me the car, so hopefully he will be able to pick them up tomorrow.

20190622_112116.jpg

Ignore the spray bomb primer, but I finished welding the truss in. I might add some gussets to the underside just to give me a warm and fuzzy, but it's probably fine as is. I had some issues with the lower brackets interfering with the sway bar that I'm not happy with, so I ordered a different set and those should be here Tuesday.

Reactions: 1 users

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
I've been in and out a few times with this rear end, making sure it's all square before finally welding it up for good.

Got it primed, painted, fluid topped off, and after about 5 hours today, installed in the car! No jacks, no stands... Time for a beer.

Some of you guys have built entire cars in the time I've been monkeying around with my frame and rear swap. :unsure: :mrgreen: but it's in! On to the next (less intense) project.
20190630_184908.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I've been in and out a few times with this rear end, making sure it's all square before finally welding it up for good.

Got it primed, painted, fluid topped off, and after about 5 hours today, installed in the car! No jacks, no stands... Time for a beer.

Some of you guys have built entire cars in the time I've been monkeying around with my frame and rear swap. :unsure: :mrgreen: but it's in! On to the next (less intense) project.
View attachment 116942
Looks awesome man!!!! Coilovers just look so racey!!! I'll have a set someday.

• Agree

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Thanks! I monkeyed around with it quite a bit, I'm just glad they're in. I'm kind of partial to how it looks, too. It rolls up and down the driveway straight! :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor