85 Cutlass Supreme Redemption build

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlzO2k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Upstate NY
Nothing as of yet. Had a lot of wet weather, and just getting it home and catching up on some other bills and preparing for Halloween hadn't left much budget. But this week I'm going to order a new ignition cylinder and key, as well as trunk and door latches with matching keys for those, and a new battery. I really want to see if this sucker will start the way she is, just for curiosity sake!

CharlzO2k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Upstate NY
I did one of those? lol.

Last night on my way home from work, I stopped and grabbed a cheap battery from Wal-mart. Today, I took a few minutes and swapped it out. No joke the old one probably weighed about 65% of the new one. Yeah, pretty well gone. And who decided to put the fender bar smack dab across the top so you can't just pull it out? Anyway, five minutes in and the battery was installed. Hopped in the car, used my plier-I mean, key, and it cranked nice and strong. Gave it a few extra seconds, but just had spinning, no firing. Well heck, I have a splash of gas in this here can by the lawnmower.. dribbled a few into the carb, hopped in, and first touch, VROOOM started instantly, And imagine my surprise when it didn't immediately sputter and die out, but continued to run. I was sure it would burn off those drops and die, but nope. Sure enough, still running. Shut it down, blew all four tires up (because who wouldn't want to roll on 10+ year old rotten rubber!) and then hopped in. Started right up yet again. Ok, now the moment of truth. Into Reverse...

And nothing. Hmm. Ok, little gas? I mean, this transmission hasn't shifted in freaking forever. Might need some convincing. Sure enough, a little gas and she popped free into movement. End of the driveway, back to drive, clicked right in and moved. Car definitely has a plug or wire missing somewhere, it was sputtering, but I did take it for a slow, max of 30 mph mile up the road and back. It wasn't so much the old tires that worried me, nor the misfire, but rather that half the freaking lugs are missing. Left front has 3, left rear - TWO, right front 4, and right rear, another 3. Not too concerned as I'll replace all of them anyway. Shifts into second nice and crisp, I was surprised. I'm not going to try for more for the time being, plenty of time ahead. Did see some smoke out the rear window on the way back. Ok, that's fine anyway. It might lead me to whatever had happened before it was parked.

Not coolant leaking or burning off as I expected (nothing out the tailpipe either), but rather, what appears to be some pretty failed valve cover gaskets. Depending on how many more nice days we end up with, I might get around to those before snow, but if not, at least I know they're needed. And since they're cheap enough, even if they aren't the cause of what smoked up years back, can't hurt to replace them to narrow out what the issue is. Harder to see other leaks if there's leaky oil smoking everywhere, I guess. But all in all, a minor victory. Next up is waiting on the ignition switch to arrive, to avoid having to use pliers for on and off. One step at a time.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
I did go out with a better set of cables, and the engine does turn over, not seized and nothing making a racket, just not fast enough to try to get any progress towards starting. Was just kind of a "hey, while I'm outside again" moment. I did also start to decode all the RPO codes. A few I couldn't find, but they've been mostly uneventful, since I already knew there wasn't anything special about the car. Of course it.s a 2.14 rear and a 200 transmission. Definitely on the books for replacement on both counts. Also the vinyl top has started to peel slightly on the passenger side, revealing a nice shiny coat of paint underneath. As there are some cracks elsewhere on the top, I'm leaning towards removing it altogether. The classic side of me doesn't mind the look, but it would have to be replaced. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's nice and solid underneath.
Nice star to a project!! Good Luck Doc G

Reactions: 1 user

CharlzO2k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Upstate NY
Finally got an answer on the fate of the car, and it will be remaining with me. So now the question comes down to if I want to go mild or wild (which takes a lot more time and budget obviously - money I'd much rather have sailing the world with me if I'm honest lol but there's always another year for that). Still thinking keep it simple, sbo 350, eliminate the computer and everything else, it won't be a daily, freshen the interior, and call it a day. We'll see. Now I can actually figure a plan for myself since I know I'm keeping it.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

CharlzO2k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Upstate NY
After finally letting Winter get out of the way, I ended up shelving the project for a while. Since I hadn't updated this, I'll recap since the last post.

I bought a new battery, and with a little drip of gas down the barrels, it started at the turn of the key. I assumed it would just burn off that teaspoon but wouldn't you know, it just kept running. So with 2 lugs per wheel, naturally the next step was to put it in gear. While reverse takes a little revving to get to take off, drive is fine, and my guess is it's just the nasty old fluid and having sat forever that is slushing it up a little. I took it up the road and back, about 20 mph max (basically only as fast as I would've felt safe if I veered into a tree). Valve cover gaskets are shot, starts smoking after warming up. Didn't get it hot enough to see if it'll overheat again though. So after all that, I'm selling it this weekend (today if the guy shows). Found a place where it can go to a better home with someone with much better tools, space, and time to do something with it. Since the ex didn't want it, I figured it's fair game. I also covered up the tattoo I had gotten while with her, so with the car gone, that will end that chapter for solid.

I do still marvel at just how clean and straight the body is on this thing, every time I wash it off. But I'm just not in a position where I'll be able to do much with it, and with 5 cars in the driveway, it was time to let it go find a life elsewhere. I've cut my ties, and I'm good with it.

Now to sell the Jag next weekend lol.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Well ,part of me is sad to see you sell it .........BUT I can understand too many projects and too little time & money.
And the ugly fact that the current wife / girlfriend will always look at it and see your old flame...............for some reason they do not accept that well.

Do not be a stranger , come back and visit from time to time.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
had wondered a couple times about this car and it's fate. as hard as it may be, sometimes it's the best to let bad history like that go. maybe we'll see it again, and hope it has a someone who would love to have it.

thanks for letting us know the update, and good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor