85 Cutty with Chevy 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCLASS

n00b
May 6, 2014
I seriously need some help. I bought an 85 cutlass with a horrible 305 Chevy block in it. I have plans to replace current motor with 350 Rocket. While taking off parts on Chevy I realize everything is on opposite sides. Can I use my Chevy starter and alternator on my Rocket? If not where can I find alternator brackets from and will I have to replace mounts and brackets? I only see mounts online so I should be able lift out Chevy and drop Rocket in ? Please help I ready for my Cutty

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
The starter should work if switched to an Olds nose cone. Pretty sure the alternator doesn't care what engine its on so that should work.
Ummm, I think that's about it.

More than likely the bellhousing on your transmission wont work. I don't believe the frame and motor mounts will work either. Exhaust manifolds/headers wont work. Im SURE there is more.

If you didn't already have the Olds motor, it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to drop in a Chevy 350.
But if your trying to make the Cutlass all Olds, I understand.

GCLASS

n00b
May 6, 2014
I'm lining everything up today.. Hopefully we turn wrenches to power thanks..any more suggestions or comment about swapping Chevy for rocket in Cutty

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
GCLASS said:
I seriously need some help. I bought an 85 cutlass with a horrible 305 Chevy block in it. I have plans to replace current motor with 350 Rocket. While taking off parts on Chevy I realize everything is on opposite sides. Can I use my Chevy starter and alternator on my Rocket? If not where can I find alternator brackets from and will I have to replace mounts and brackets? I only see mounts online so I should be able lift out Chevy and drop Rocket in ? Please help I ready for my Cutty

There are much worse motors to have than a 305, like a n/a Buick 231.

pacman350

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2012
monticello, Ga
The starter wont work but the alternator will but were the plug is at on the alternator it will be facing down instead of up like it is now. You will need to change your motor mounts and maybe crossmember depending on which transmission you use. I did da swap from sbo to sbc.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
G bodies are rare in junkyards now and the few are always base V6 models. Just not as easy as it used to be.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get a complete donor motor with brackets, pulleys etc. SBC mini starters will bolt on an Olds 350.

GCLASS

n00b
May 6, 2014
It's a maze finding stock or even after market frame mounts for an 85 Cutty... Any help, suggestions or anything to assist with locating the bottom frame mounts....I got the top 2 ..need bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor