85 El Camino AC Condensing Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssiron

Apprentice
Mar 28, 2010
Sweetwater, Texas
Does anyone know of a R134 designed AC condensing coil that can be made to fit a 1985 G Body? Since changing to r134 my AC capacity is not as good as it was on r12.
Frank

84camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2015
I'm running a 92 camaro camaro ac condenser set up for r 134 the key to keeping the system cold is the oil. I put 8 ounces in the condenser alone.....my ac system blows 38 degrees out of he vents in my 84 el camino

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You should be able to find a parallel flow condenser that is direct fit for your car. I think the aftermarket assumes a R134A retrofit at this point. I bought a Cutlass condenser for my GP to move the connections to the passenger side and it is a parallel flow unit. A little careful shopping and you should find one for your application. You have the R4 compressor on the driver's side?

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
My 87 Monte Carlo was converted by a dealer (prior owner) some time back. It does blow cold but have found it not as cold as my Mazda. Just as cold as my Chevy truck though. Was told that a GM converted system was not as cold as a R12 system due to the refrigerent quality. This is what I was told though and not via personal experience.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I installed a new condenser for an '83 Malibu 305. Using 134A, it's nice and cold. Also replaced the evaporator and new Delco R4 compressor. The R4 doesn't rob as much power as the old A6 compressor did.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
From what I gathered from the link above (page2), the condenser from an 88 Monte Carlo is what you want. My local O'Reilley auto parts store carries Murray air products. I am close to needing a condenser for my Salon project and that's the one I'll buy.

84camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2015
If your doing a engine swap and you need the fittings on the right side by the radiator the camaro condenser is a direct bolt in....I also replaced everything the evaporator compressor and accumulator. I also am running a variable position orifice tube as it adjust the flow of r 134

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor