85 El Camino basic to fill gauge change over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thediggsmang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2019
I have an 85 El Camino with just your basic gauges. It had speedo, oil pressure light, gas gauge and big clock. The other 3 were blacked out by the factory. I recently bought a gauge cluster out of an 85 Monte Carlo. It has all the gauges and they have all the needles. My question is im not sure what I need to do and or get so they all work. My speedo is off by 10mph, my gas gauge doesn't work most of the time (always reads full), tach, volts and temp don't work at all and the oil pressure gauge is going from a light to an actual gauge. What I've been told is I need sending units for those things. I have the Chilton,(not sure how much use it will be since it not the original engine for this truck. I believe it came out of a old Chevy pickup because the wiring harness has the hookups to plug in a quadrajet M4ME. Which was not standard on any El Camino I've heard of but was on the chevy pickup. Would also make since that it came from a truck since the guy I bought it from had a 76 chevy pickup dragged out in his garage. When I go through the Chilton I see temp switch, oil pressure switch. Is a switch the same as a sending unit and to get what I need, I order my stuff from rock auto, what exactly am I looking for? Thank you.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
If I understand your post correct you went from this:
P1012087.JPG
To This:
P1012105.JPG
Pictures are from my 79 Monte Carlo so the gauge face is a little different. Did you change the housing and printed circuit with it? Not having the gas gauge and volt gauge working is a concern. The housing for the gauge package is different then the warning lights.
P1012093.JPG VS P1012148.JPG
You do need to change your sending units as well as add the feed wire and electronic filter for the tachometer. Sending units that should work with your application would be a TS76T temp sensor, and a PS154T oil pressure sensor 60 lb max. Both are on Rock Auto in the "economy" band (Standard Motor Products) Below is a guide on where the lead for the tach comes into the harmonic clip for the dash.
Wire Diagram.png

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor