EL CAMINO 85 el camino C6 Z06 brake upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayscamino

n00b
Apr 25, 2021
Hi guys.

1985 el camino emergency/park brake advice.

I’m based in the UK where Parts and information is a lot harder to obtain. I have bought C6 Z06 front and rear calipers. we will need to install a mechanical parking brake. I believe we need to install a drum setup, the axle will need to be modified/replaced. Also will need to lower rear by 2”

Also I will be installing 2” drop spindles on the front

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Stay safe

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The G-body rear brakes changed from a rectangular bolt pattern that GM used for decades, to this funky (cheap) tang with a large bore hole for the wheel cylinder, held in by a clip. Utter crap. The conversion is not hard, but you will need to use either S10 rear disc backing plates and rotors, or 98-02 Camaro backing plates and rotors. The bonus is that both have a built in 'shoe' parking brake. It involves cutting off the tangs and drilling some holes. What you end up with is...the rectangular bolt pattern GM used for decades. :blam:

Here are the Camaro part numbers:
1619391494171.png
1619391561032.png

These could be found used here and shipped over to you. Amazon is out of stock right now, but they show up again sooner or later. Mostly wanted to show you what they look like.
You can walk through the installation in a number of threads on the Forum, but here's mine:

The Belltech spindles will have to be modified to enable you to bolt on adapter plates to locate the calipers. GM used a unitized hub/rotor - you could take yours, cut off the friction surface, then turn down the hub portion until you can slide the separate Corvette rotor over them. Most people use 98-02 S10 Blazer spindles that use a similar packaged hub/bearing assembly as the Corvette.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

80malibudriver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2019
If you go the 2 in drop spindle route on the ft be aware the tire will HEAVILY contact the inner wheel well before the lower control arm bumper stops the suspention travel ask me how i know

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Very interested in how this turns out for you, I was too lazy to do the parking brake setup when I did the C6 ZO6 front and rear calipers

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hi guys.

1985 el camino emergency/park brake advice.

I’m based in the UK where Parts and information is a lot harder to obtain. I have bought C6 Z06 front and rear calipers. we will need to install a mechanical parking brake. I believe we need to install a drum setup, the axle will need to be modified/replaced. Also will need to lower rear by 2”

Also I will be installing 2” drop spindles on the front

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Stay safe
Welcome to the forum from West Michigan. Thanks for a proper introduction. You found the right forum for your project.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor