85 El Camino -- Electrical weirdness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
As mentioned in my previous posts, I pulled the 350 and 700R4 and cleaned and painted the engine bay. I modified the engine wiring as required with the Sniper EFI and Hyperspark installation. Other than temporarily unclipping the lighting wiring to remove the fenderwells for ease of cleaning and painting, I did nothing to the stock lighting wiring harness. This is where the weirdness begins!!

My park lights, emergency flashers and turn signals work, but my headlights do not. My windshield wiper also works, but they won't turn off. I double checked to ensure that the headlights were grounded. Other than that, I'm clueless as to how to rectify these two problems.

Any suggestions?

20220417_174750.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
As mentioned in my previous posts, I pulled the 350 and 700R4 and cleaned and painted the engine bay. I modified the engine wiring as required with the Sniper EFI and Hyperspark installation. Other than temporarily unclipping the lighting wiring to remove the fenderwells for ease of cleaning and painting, I did nothing to the stock lighting wiring harness. This is where the weirdness begins!!

My park lights, emergency flashers and turn signals work, but my headlights do not. My windshield wiper also works, but they won't turn off. I double checked to ensure that the headlights were grounded. Other than that, I'm clueless as to how to rectify these two problems.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 196778
Where is your main ground on your setup?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
The engine is grounded in two ways. It is grounded to the frame and the body.
And you have inspected both of those by pulling on the connections, on each side correct?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Yes! Plus...both of the grouping straps are new.
Alright. Make sure the fuses are ok, and if that is good, try grounding the headlights somewhere else.

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
g0thiac:

Okay...I will do that and get back to you! Appreciate the quick responses!!

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Sounds like a connector problem. As an aside, make sure you have great idle voltage on the Sniper, we had immediate results in the car running better with a 150 amp alternator that ran 14+ volts at idle.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor