85 EL CAMINO LIMITED EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildWest

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 29, 2020
Hi, I have been looking off and on for an El Camino to purchase. I ran across a Craigslist post that listed an 85 El Camino Limited Edition. This piqued my curiosity, and invested some time researching this. From the GM Heritage Center to all sorts of blogs and such, there is no reference to this package. Now I did find out that starting in 85 until the last production year in 87 GM shifted manufacturing to Mexico (ugh NAFTA). I was so enamored with the pictures that were posted, it is a two-tone blue exterior (light on top and sides, dark below the door molding and rocker panels. I hemmed and hawed for weeks over this, and I decided I should at least look at it up front. It was about a four hour trip each way, and just got back home. Sure enough, the interior woodgrain had a Limited emblem, and it kinda reminded me of the Cadillac emblem style. The driver's seat was power with three way positioning, like a Cadillac would have, the passenger seat was just a fold back. The cloth was velvety to the touch, and had more cushioning than any El Camino seat that felt as comfy as a Cadillac. Guy who owned it purchased from the original owner who only drove it into a small town and back before he had his license suspended due to age. Odometer shows about 64,000 miles and was assured that was its actual mileage. It runs and drives, but had been stored for about a year before he purchased it. There is some work that needs done, but nothing major on the surface.

My first question to the group, is if anyone has ever seen or heard of a Limited Edition package that was offered for this year model. If so, is there any available resource to support it? I have a lot of pictures that I took, so if you want to verify anything I can send by PM or email, let me know.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Without seeing any pictures, I'd say that it was either a) a dealer-installed package or b) something a previous owner did. To my knowledge there was no "limited edition" El Camino, apart from the Choo-choo customs/SS models, which are hard to confuse with anything else...

• Agree

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
First thing I thought of was "dealer installed".

Think of the MACHO Trans Am's...

If you know where the dealership is, and if it is still open, you might be able to contact them and ask... I know the dealership where my 1986 GP was made is still open and had every bit of maintenance since day one done there until I bought it..

-Gonz

WildWest

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 29, 2020
I honestly could not believe it myself, that's why I drove so far to see it. Maybe it could have been a dealer installed option, it's certainly not listed as a factory option package. The power driver's seat is also something that stood out. Attached are pictures of the passenger dashboard with the emblem.and the power seat controls. The center knob for moving the seat back and forth broke off.

PXL_20201129_192320829.jpg
PXL_20201129_191826099.jpg

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
The emblem on the dash looks like a regal one. Never see a seat set up like that

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
X2 It looks like somebody put Regal parts on that El Camino. It could have been a dealer package like mentioned above but I doubt it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

WildWest

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 29, 2020
Yeah, I kinda doubt that myself. The woodgrain is both on the dash and doors. Look at the extra cushioning on the seats and instrument cluster.
PXL_20201129_200237888.jpg
PXL_20201129_192253368.jpg
PXL_20201129_192257776.jpg

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Door panels are definately Regal, the wiper switch on the dash was pre 82, 82 and newer the switch was on the steering collumn. If you look at the odometer, under 100k miles the numbers would all line up except the tenths. The 969 being offset shows the speedometer has at least 100k miles on it.

Last edited:

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I googled 1985 Buick Regal and then clicked Images.

Took about 30 seconds to go.. "well, it looks like someone got themselves a totalled buick and put the interior inside an El Cam.. Seats.. Dash.. then charged a little more for it.

Interesting find! Did you buy it?

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor