85 EL CAMINO LIMITED EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildWest

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 29, 2020
I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I tend to agree that the interior was likely an owner Frankenstein mod from an 80s Buick Regal. This one really had me scratching my head, and I really appreciate the kind assistance I received for such a newbie here. I'm going to pass on this one and keep an eye out for other El Camino's down the line.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
This just keeps getting more curious...
Lots of strange things happen to 35 year old vehicles......especially when there are so many donors and parts are so interchangeable

Shoot, my own 81 Malibu coupe has factory buckets, and they were not available on base Malibus...

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
BUT, my uncle's wife's brother's nephew had a Limited just like that, except his was an 86 and came with a factory 454 and 5 speed.

I remember that one ....Had a fan clutch ona Fo Fitty Fo and blue motor mounts. Or am I mixing that up with a Monte Carlo? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Definitely Regal parts. I easily converted my '85 wood dash trim and gauges to the late '86-88 LS trim. And look the steering wheel doesn't match, just like mine. Because why remove a perfectly good steering wheel if you don't have to?

Also sus that a "Limited" car is an idiot light car.

Edit: Was the condition of the car just not up to snuff? WildWest

Last edited:

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
Just a few more things about the El Camino. I noticed the front seats were different; drivers looked like a Regal Ltd. seat while the pass. seat looked stock. There is a 7mm screw in the wiper switch area which looked odd. Along with the others, I thought the "Ltd" emblem on the dash is from a Regal or possibly a full-size '77 Electra Limited rear quarter emblem. I know the drivers seat could be had with 6-way power but the only recliner was on the pass. side if that was even available on an El Camino or Malibu for that matter. Even on my '84 Cutlass Brougham, I only had pass. side manual recline, although I did add a driver side power recliner to go with my 6-way power seat. Parts from a Buick Riviera fit right in!
See that you passed on this car anyway; good choice. That looked like a cobbled up mess.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Even though it's a frankenstein, I would have bought it if it wasn't a rust bucket. I don't think you mentioned drivetrain. But for me it would be swapped out with LS and OD. I thought it was pretty clean.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Depending on how much it was, Im not sure I would let a rust-free example get away, even if the interior was frankenstein'd by someone.. Rust-free El Cam's are becoming more and more rare..

Now, if the guy was asking for a premium because of the frankenstein'd interior..... thats a different story....

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor