'85 GP radio removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys. I tried to do a search on this, but found nothing. I have an '85 GP with the non-center console dash. How do I remove the factory radio? I'm replacing it with another factory radio that has a tape player. Thanks so much!! A super quick response would be super friendly!

:wink:

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Sine no GP owners have replied, I'll take a stab at it. IIRC u need to pull half of the dash insert out to gain access to the 2 brackets mounted into the dash fram and radio. Possibly a support on the back side also.
It's been a long time since I've done a GP, sorry.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I figured you could pull off the face plate each seperately, but no way. lol. Plus I don't have a Haynes manual for a GP yet. Only a Monte...

So in other words, just wait a few weeks and get it professionally done? The radio and all 4 speakers in my DeVille were borderline impossible...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
average..here's the instructions from a Chilton's manual...I tried to scan it for you cause there is a diagram but for some reason the scanned image looked like crap...I hope this helps you out...

1. Disconnnect negative battery cable

2. Remove the knobs, the bezels, and right hand hex nut from the radio. Remove the upper and the lower instument panel trimplates

3. Remove the 4 retaining screws from the radio trim plate

4. Remove the front retaining screw and the radio mounting bracket retaining screw (below the radio). Open the glove box and losen the rear nut at the right side of the radio.

5. Remove the radio and bracket as an assembly, then disconnect the radio connections and the antenna lead in while the radio is pulled out.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
pontiacgp said:
average..here's the instructions from a Chilton's manual...I tried to scan it for you cause there is a diagram but for some reason the scanned image looked like crap...I hope this helps you out...

1. Disconnnect negative battery cable

2. Remove the knobs, the bezels, and right hand hex nut from the radio. Remove the upper and the lower instument panel trimplates

3. Remove the 4 retaining screws from the radio trim plate

4. Remove the front retaining screw and the radio mounting bracket retaining screw (below the radio). Open the glove box and losen the rear nut at the right side of the radio.

5. Remove the radio and bracket as an assembly, then disconnect the radio connections and the antenna lead in while the radio is pulled out.

This is exactly as it is on my Monte - and an 85 GP should be the same. 86+ won't have the rear bracket on the right side - they have a plastic dowel on the back that fits into a hole on the dash frame to support it.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Just a little off topic, but the Montes rear brace bracket is accessible from under the dash on the passenger side just below the glove box. No need to open it on a Monte.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85t5mcss said:
Just a little off topic, but the Montes rear brace bracket is accessible from under the dash on the passenger side just below the glove box. No need to open it on a Monte.

That is due to that the designers for the GP were sofisticated enough to make the centre consel mold right into the dash...there's no gaping hole in the dash in a GP....(joking of course)...:D

in the Chilton's book 85 and up Monte's have a different procedure...the glove box needs to be removed to remove the temp control cable from the temp door. The radio is attached to to heater and AC controls and they all get removed together.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
pontiacgp said:
That is due to that the designers for the GP were sofisticated enough to make the centre consel mold right into the dash...there's no gaping hole in the dash in a GP....(joking of course)...:D

in the Chilton's book 85 and up Monte's have a different procedure...the glove box needs to be removed to remove the temp control cable from the temp door. The radio is attached to to heater and AC controls and they all get removed together.

pre-86 monte consoles flow into the dash as well :D

That Chiltons procedure is wrong. 85 is different from 86-88 for a Monte, and neither requires the removal of the glovebox or temp control cable etc. Just remove the trim plate, remove the four front screws/bolts (and single rear nut on 85 and older), then pull out the radio and disconnect.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85_SS said:
That Chiltons procedure is wrong. 85 is different from 86-88 for a Monte, and neither requires the removal of the glovebox or temp control cable etc. Just remove the trim plate, remove the four front screws/bolts (and single rear nut on 85 and older), then pull out the radio and disconnect.

that procedure sounded strange to me so thanks for clearing that up..I think all the G bodies has the same set up for the radios...:D

I like the centre speaker cut out in the dash on the GP...the crossovers for my front speakers fit right in there..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor