'85 GP radio removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
averagewhiteboy said:
So how do you remove the trim plate for the '85? I've heard alot of ways. lol.

:wink:

put the pry tool away and use a screw driver .... :roll:

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If there are no screws to be seen, then it has pressure clips. I like to use L-shaped screwdrivers and carefully pull around the radio/HVAC/lighter openings.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, there's no screws. Just the little hex head screws around the gauges, but just don't do anything. They just spin and spin. I don't want to pry on it if it's not the correct thing to do... I don't want to break a good peice.

:?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Going from memory here, been a little bit since I pulled that... :)

The little hex screws don't do anything, they're just for looks. The whole thing has to come off.

Pull the lighter and the trim ring there. Then IIRC you have to drop the kick panel under the steering wheel. Then you can get at the screw(s?) on the bottom of the bezel on the left and right sides of the wheel. Can't remember if the little rectangle on the right of the steering wheel has to come off first or not. The three screws on top of course. And I'm a bit fuzzy if there are screws or just clips on the bottom by the radio....

But that should get you started. HTH :D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
once you remove the kick panel like GP403 said you need to drop the steering column a bit to remove the bezel....there are two nuts that secure the bracket on the column to the vehicle and you don't have to remove the nuts completely and while you have the bezel off if you have any burnt out instrument lights it's a good time to change them..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor