85 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
Hello all names James, and Im new to the GBody world and v8 muscle cars in general. Always wanted an SS growing up, and recently had the chance to pick up an 85 Monte SS for a pretty good price. That good price comes with a lot of head scratching and issues.

The car.. the previous owner knew nothing about it. It was given to them years ago from their parents. Sat collecting dust for years. Im not very familiar with these beast, but from what I gathered its a small block 350 swap with 350 turbo transmission, holley carb, and thats about all I know...

Car is not getting power from battery to distributor, had to hot wire to fuse box to get to start. Car has a weird rattle when in idle, and the noise tappers off when given gas. Any ideals would be greatly appreciated. Video and Pics below!

kIZLNbsdRymRWnVVlBp5Ug_zpsx9dajrbm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
WPwTM5iNTa2Y4bEJFhTxSg_zpswcr7y2ub.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
SZguKWWiREq69xltbPIGA_zpspwn7jsem.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BtdGyJuFTtqYgrh6kOTvA_zps1ekyqmh8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
XqKmTAbKSduH3yZpZvvJcg_zpsysoxnhhc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
fullsizeoutput_1046_zpsaibw8zlo.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The Monte looks clean and I know you are having issues with the running aspect of it and one thing I would do is change the plug wires to a 90 boot style, it will help keep the wires from being so close to the headers

full

Reactions: 3 users

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
Headers off, starter out, trans out, flywheel out, but damn look at the rigged transmission... noise I was having was the flywheel. Loose as hell ! No signs of metal in fluids from engine.

Replacing starter, fuel pump, flywheel, distributor (whole unit) plugs, wires, grind and paint headers, put her back together and hopefully all goes well.

Reactions: 1 users

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
Well.... had to take the trans back out. Put the damn flywheel on backwards. So that killed the only day I had this week to do anything. Did get my braided fuel line set up to get rid of the rubber rigs the previous owner had on it. The hooker headers are a lil rusted. Can I just sand and coat them?

Reactions: 1 user

Zspoiler

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2018
One of the problems is you don`t know what the original owner did and didn`t do right with the car, And now you have to correct their mistakes. Look like you have a good decent car to start with Just go through it and make it yours .Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
One of the problems is you don`t know what the original owner did and didn`t do right with the car, And now you have to correct their mistakes. Look like you have a good decent car to start with Just go through it and make it yours .Good luck to you.

That's exactly my issue. There was a lot of work done, but I bought it off a friend of mine. It was their fathers , but knew nothing about and didnt give a damn about it. It sat for over 4 years in a shed collecting dust. I bought it site unseen. Just thought I was buying a body, but this dude had lots of money dumped in it. I was thrilled when I got it home off the flatbed and it fired right up. Had a heavy clanging (posted a video somewhere). I thought it was the engine, but it turned out to be the flexplate was loose as hell, and alot of odds and ends needed replaced. doing fuel pump, flexplate, starter, redoing fuel lines to braided lines, new plugs, wires, and distributor.

Got the numbers off the block researched what engine and have been slowly been getting at it in my spare time. Cant wait for her to hit the damn road!

It is a 350 from a 69 camaro ss, has hooher heads, comp cams, holley carb, and needs a lot of TLC.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor