85 olds 442 paint code

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsls1

n00b
Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys i have an 85 olds 442, 2 tone black and silver/gray. The Car fell off of the jack while i was carelessly pumping, and the fender landed on top of the jackstand.(Damnit!) Ofcourse the fender was smashed. I have no door jam sticker to help with paint codes, I dont know if it makes a difference, but i do still have the sticker inside the trunk. I searched and found a list of paint codes. I was hoping you guys could help me out to make sure i get the proper color. Ill add pictures when i figure out how. Thanks!

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/co ... sa_A-L.htm

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/co ... sa_M-Z.htm

oldsls1

n00b
Jun 15, 2010
thanks for the help. I did find both paints. I talked to a body shop about repairing the fender, and was told that the lower paint was "gravel guard". He thought this because the entire lower paint job just looks like a bad case of orange peel. Im just wondering if any such product could have been sprayed on from the factory. Giving it this extreme orange peel look?

The paint code for the lower section is wa-8535

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
my 1985 442 has that "orange peel" gravel guard in the gray--from the factory

usually it doesn't cover the whole gray area, it stops about an inch from the black

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
My 82 also has the gravel guard from the factory. I used it on my 73 when I painted it to try and keep down the rock chips. You can get it from any paint shop in a spray bomb can either light or heavy. It does not match the factory well at all, they used a spray gun type gravel guard. When I had to replace a fender on the 73 I used the spray bomb style and it was barely noticable. If you find a good painter like I did he can mimic the gravel guard by blowing clear coat in a low pressure. It almost matches 100%, if you didnt know it was fixed you would never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor