Status
Not open for further replies.

76Eldo_convertFI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
85 Regal Coupe stolen & recovered

1st, glad to find this forum, good job! :lol:

We inherited my Mom's 85' basic Regal Coupe a few of years ago, just before she passed away. At the time, it had about 65,000 miles on it and the wife loved the car. I was going to have it painted for the wife's birthday in September.

Anyway, a week ago it was stolen from in front of our house (I hadn't gotten around to installing an alarm, my bad :oops: ). They found it 2 days later but it was partially stripped. They got:

• Hood
    right fender
    complete front clip
    jacked up the steering column which I'll have to replace
    buggered the trunk deck lid
    both tail lights
    dash & radio bezels
    alternator
    the brand new red top optima battery
    the freek'n air cleaner wingnut but didn't take the K & N filter, go figure! :?:
Our AAA insurance had it towed to a GMC dealership, bad idea but I couldn't protest, and of course, the the dealership appraiser called me and told me that the retail value is less than repairs costs so it's a total!

I'm still waiting for my insurance agent to call with her offer. Problem will be getting them to NOT declare it as a total so I don't have to deal with the DMV paperwork of a salvage vehicle.

I've already started searching & buying parts to replace and figure that it'll be $1,500 - $2,000 to put it back together before paint.

Just needed to vent, thanks Steve

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Welcome! ...

Man that just sucks. Its a shame these things are so easy to take off with. And here I was thinking the chop shops had moved on to the ricer cars.

Good luck with the insurance company, I had a similar situation a few years back when the GP got beat to death by softball-sized hail. Get with your agent and hope they understand that its not just 'another old car.' (no such thing!!!)

:(

Good luck!

76Eldo_convertFI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Resurrection has begun

The insurance valued O'l Blue Bear @ $2,500. Not bad for a basic model, stripped down 20 year car. So after our deductible and the fee to keep the carcass, we got a check for $1,950. :D

I bought a complete used header panel & fender from a guy off of eBay. Still waiting for delivery though. Also bought NOS front turn signals both header panel & bumper, license plate bracket & light, misc. ebmlems, etc. :)

Yesterday, the wife & I hit our local Pic-a-Part and got a hood, trunk lid, bumper, grill & dash bezel from an 86' for $175.00. She had fun helping me mix & match bumper strips & trim from several bumpers to make a decent one.

Everybody was freaking out :shock: as we dropped the top on the 76' Eldo, loaded the hood & trunk lid into the back seat, put the bumper, grill & bezel in the trunk and drove away. We used to call our 68' DeVille convertible an SUD (Sport Utility DeVille) because of the swimming pool sized trunk. Yesterday the wife started calling Mr. Eldo an "SUE" (Sport Utility Eldorado)! :lol:

As of now, we have about $1,000 in replacement parts so we'll have a good jump on the paint job with the remaining insurance money. I'm going to start taking pictures and will post the progress on my website. Nothing up there about the Regal yet, just the Eldo and burned 68' DeVille convertible. http://home.mindspring.com/~76ldo/index.html

76Eldo_convertFI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
The Regal's back on the road

My buddy & I finished the rough-in work yesterday. Picture of the new frontend is in my gallery.

Today I went to the DMV to get a temporary movement permit to have him smoged. HE PASSED :shock: :lol: ! Tomorrow I'll go down and get new plates. Momma wants personalized plates with "BLU BEAR" and wants to repaint him a powder blue.

Next stop is to have an alarm installed, get some decent fitting front bumper fillers and then finish prepping him for the paint job.

Step by step, inch by inch............ :D

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
alarm very smart idea, unfortunately it was the weekend before the 87 vanaished I had the funds to go buy an alarm, I can't help but think if someone had the time to put that alarm in on that Sat, I'd still have had that car in front of my house on Monday. Needless to say within a week of getting plates on the 81 (removing the battery previously), I had an alarm installed on it....good call because that very night, they went after the Calais too and mind you I live in a fairly crime free neighborhood

76Eldo_convertFI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Adding an alarm

Spent all day yesterday installing a remote trunk release with glove box pushbutton and a relay to be activated by the alarm system & power door locks. The locks work with a module that, if the driver's door either locks or unlocks, the passenger door will follow. The module can also accept 12 VDC negative inputs from the alarm system to lock/unlock.

So............heading down this morning to have the DEI Viper 5000 alarm installed. Has all the latest whistles & bells except for remote start, which we don't' need or want.

We also got it registered yesterday and the wife is grinning from ear to ear now. I figure that I've got a week or so of final prep before we have it sprayed. The NOS bumper fillers go down in 1 day and I'm hoping that no one else bids on them so I don't have to pay a lot for them seeing that I've already spent $125.00 for the aftermarket that fit like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor