85ss Monte Carlo door issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
I’ve got an 85 ss monte carlo. It’s hard to explain what my driver side door issue is but the driver side door on my Monte is very hard to close. To get it to fully close and seal you have to slam it. If you don’t it will latch but not go all the way in. It also feels as if there’s resistance when push the door towards the car. Especially when the door is right before closing. It’s there’s tension on the door. Like I should be able to let go of the door and it will swing to the car. But my door seems to get resistance/tension/tightness when I get close to closing it. Also not sure if this is normal but the passenger side feels super tight. When I open it it’s kinda hard to pull the door handle but when it goes it pops open pretty hard.

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
I’ve got an 85 ss monte carlo. It’s hard to explain what my driver side door issue is but the driver side door on my Monte is very hard to close. To get it to fully close and seal you have to slam it. If you don’t it will latch but not go all the way in. It also feels as if there’s resistance when push the door towards the car. Especially when the door is right before closing. It’s there’s tension on the door. Like I should be able to let go of the door and it will swing to the car. But my door seems to get resistance/tension/tightness when I get close to closing it. Also not sure if this is normal but the passenger side feels super tight. When I open it it’s kinda hard to pull the door handle but when it goes it pops open pretty hard.
I even adjusted the striker part and removed that spring thing that pops the door open for you because it was seized

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
with the window up or down?there's a bit of resistance with the windows when closing.it sounds like a few things but let's start with the windows

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you grab it from the rear does the door have any up and down play? when it opens does it drop @all?when you close it do you have to pick it up @ all inorder for it to latch? these are signs of worn pin and bushing assemblies and or hinges.it may be a striker adjustment but if the hinges are worn that's the bigger issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Most likely worn hinge bushings and pins. The driver side gets more wear than the passenger side. Plus the doors on these cars are big heavy barn doors which puts a lot of strain on the hinges.

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
if you grab it from the rear does the door have any up and down play? when it opens does it drop @all?when you close it do you have to pick it up @ all inorder for it to latch? these are signs of worn pin and bushing assemblies and or hinges.it may be a striker adjustment but if the hinges are worn that's the bigger issue.
It doesn’t feel like it has any up and down play. But it does seem to close easier if you lift up on it but you do have to close it reallt hard

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Have you replaced the weatherstripping on your car? Often aftermarket weatherstripping doesn't as well as factory original.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It doesn’t feel like it has any up and down play. But it does seem to close easier if you lift up on it but you do have to close it reallt hard
Have someone lift up the end of the door while it's open and then you can look for any movement within the hinge where the pin goes through in the middle and also where the roller is which should be centered on the pin it rides on.
If you can also post a picture or video of it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor