86 442 Door Hinge Pillar Same As ALL G-Bodys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayfairs442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2021
Trying to figure out if I can use any g-body A-pillar or if it has to be a 81-87 cutlass. I looked at one off an 79 Malibu 2 dr and it looks the same but still not confident. Also need to replace the tray under the back window but so far I've only found the tray for a 78-80 cutlass. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• tempImagecp8Irw.png
    tempImagecp8Irw.png
    5 MB · Views: 116
  • tempImageELzk9Y.png
    tempImageELzk9Y.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 109

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Trying to figure out if I can use any g-body A-pillar or if it has to be a 81-87 cutlass. I looked at one off an 79 Malibu 2 dr and it looks the same but still not confident. Also need to replace the tray under the back window but so far I've only found the tray for a 78-80 cutlass. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Yours a t-top car?

Have you removed the carpet yet?

I'd begin looking at maybe a wrecked donor car if I were you. That door jamb would leave rusty water and debris going somewhere.... either out the kick panel and under the rubber padding onto your floor pan or into the rocker void. Either place means rust is likely when there is rot the severity you showed elsewhere

Might be cheaper to be able to cut patches off as needed?

Reactions: 1 users

Mayfairs442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2021
Yours a t-top car?

Have you removed the carpet yet?

I'd begin looking at maybe a wrecked donor car if I were you. That door jamb would leave rusty water and debris going somewhere.... either out the kick panel and under the rubber padding onto your floor pan or into the rocker void. Either place means rust is likely when there is rot the severity you showed elsewhere

Might be cheaper to be able to cut patches off as needed?
Yes its a T-top car, I haven't removed the carpet yet but looked under and didn't see anything through the bottom...I had the exact same idea and I found a donor but moved to late on it and it was gone by time I got ready to do something with it :blam:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Yes its a T-top car, I haven't removed the carpet yet but looked under and didn't see anything through the bottom...I had the exact same idea and I found a donor but moved to late on it and it was gone by time I got ready to do something with it :blam:
You'll need to really check out the windsheild header/front T top channel to see how bad that area is. Possible the windsheild A pillars may have also have related issues if the channel has any rot.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The 86' Monte SS that I stripped had t-tops and was rusted in the t-top area and the A pillars were rusting from the inside out along with also needing floorboards from the leaks.
Thoroughly check everything before you get in over your head with unexpected rust repairs,

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor