Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have only seen a few of those GTs in photographs and I have never heard of that overhead valve 305. They do look sweet and I wonder how many were made.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Found this link:

http://www.pontiacpower.net/spot86gp.html

Another specialty GP offered at this time was the Grand Prix GT, from Myrtle Motors of Middle ViIlage, N.Y. The GT featured a standard-issue 305 4-barrel hooked to a 4-speed automatic. It received a black exterior with matching blacked-out trim, rear deck spoiler and Rally II wheels shod with 215 / 65R-15 Goodyear Eagle GT radials. According to the Myrtle Motors sales department, they were not allowed to make any mechanical modifications due to emissions regulations. As it turned out, less than 20 GT's were sold.

< 20 ? yikes! Wonder what color the interior was? 2+2 grey? Also wonder if thats a stock firebird spoiler on the back or if that came from somewhere else. Looks like a 'bird spoiler to me....

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
pontiacgp said:
I have only seen a few of those GTs in photographs and I have never heard of that overhead valve 305. They do look sweet and I wonder how many were made.
SB Chevys were OHV-Overhead Valves. Kinda sounds like OverHeadCam, but OHV is what we have. It was probably stated like that because the OHV design was better than Ford's FlatHead in Block Valves.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85t5mcss said:
SB Chevys were OHV-Overhead Valves. Kinda sounds like OverHeadCam, but OHV is what we have. It was probably stated like that because the OHV design was better than Ford's FlatHead in Block Valves.

Thanks for clueing me in. I was thinking of overhead cam and not valve.. :oops:

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
That's dope! Using the Monte SS style black out trim and stuff... Very nice! They were sorta trying to go for what Yenko did on Camaros, except the GP... Well let's just say it apparently didn't go over too well. lol.

:wink:

jerry455

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2006
sterling hts mi
grand prix gt

they did use t/a spoiler , i have an '86 t/a spoiler on my '86 gp and i like the looks , eventually i am going to make mine look like the gt

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Re: grand prix gt

jerry455 said:
they did use t/a spoiler , i have an '86 t/a spoiler on my '86 gp and i like the looks , eventually i am going to make mine look like the gt

Looks like a firebird spoiler, which I am sure it is - we put one on my dads Cutlass as well.

prixguy83

n00b
Jul 7, 2006
Minnesota
86 grand prix GT

I have a gp gt, and was wondering if anyone else has seen one of these cars? mine is the only one i've personally seen, and i am interested in knowing how many(if any) are still out there!

p.s. I'll try to get some pics up of the car soon! :D

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
1978??

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the ebay auction saying "1978". No it's post-1980.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor