'86 Cutlass 5.3/4L80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
I have been asking a few questions on this forum. So I thought I would attempt to do a build thread. I haven't been very good at keeping up with them in the past.

Here's some info on the project:
'86 Cutlass Supreme - I got this on trade for some work I did for a friend. He has 3 other G bodies.
Body - The car had a crappy white paint job. So it was blasted and painted Vapor grey. All stainless trim was removed except the windshield and rear window. I will be painting the window trim and grill black.
Engine/Trans - '06 5.3 and 4L80e- Engine was DBW and I didn't get the pedal or TAC module so I decided to get the Fitech 70051 and a used DBC throttle body.
Suspension - The car had cut spring when I got it. My friend had a new set of stock springs and Monroe shocks he decided not to use. So that's what it will get for now.

We just finished an '81 Cutlass, so I was able to move my car out of the paint booth and into the shop. Until now I have just been buying parts and got the motor cleaned up and painted. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 259
Reactions: 3 users

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
My friend put the rear of the car together last night. New springs, shocks and rear bumper are on. I will be pulling the motor and swapping the gas tank this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1523.JPG
    IMG_1523.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: 2 users

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
Put the motor and trans in for good. I used a Summit/G force trans crossmember for a 4L80e and it was about 2.5" off. Spent the few hours I had yesterday to work on the car moving the crossmember forward. Forgot to take some pics.

Next weekend will be wiring in the FItech harness, installing transmission lines and shift linkage. Hoping to fire it up by the end of the month.

Reactions: 1 user

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Degreased the engine bay and set the motor in. The Metaltek mounts worked great and the cheap S10 headers fit really well
Metaltek mounts

S10 headers

I have been considering these mounts. Can you show some pictures? How is the heater core clearance? Running AC?

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
I have been considering these mounts. Can you show some pictures? How is the heater core clearance? Running AC?
I will get some pics on Friday. They fit good, plenty of clearance for the heater core and power steering pulley. I don't plan to run A/C but I don't see where it would be a problem.

My heater core did get damaged when my friend pulled the old motor by himself. Will need to do some fiberglass repair.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

I used them in my Monte's swap... worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor