86 Cutlass Frame Repair tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjian4life218

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 17, 2009
Western New York
Hey everyone. I previously posted about having issues with my car handling like a pig and as many people pointed out my body bushing were probably in need of replacement... Well after spending a couple hours this morning I pulled out what was left of the bushings. Probably 1/4 to a 1/3 of them were missing and the rest you could break apart by hand. Needless to say they were definitely in need of replacement. Also I was rather surprised that my car had the #5 GNX bushing installed. Anyways onto my dilemma. I knew that there was something wrong with the driver side of the body since the driver side floor pan had been rubbing on the transmission cross member and it has started to rust. After taking the body bushings out I discovered that the #2 bushing on the driver side had rotted through the frame which cause the body to drop down.... So I spent the morning lifting the body off the car enough to roll it out to possibly repair the area. Can anyone give me some tips on how I should proceed. I have attached photos of the two trouble areas. Both #2 bushing from driver and passenger side.

Driver Side
2013-03-31_15-31-26_266.jpg

Passenger Side
2013-03-31_15-31-15_461.jpg

I figured first grind down to bare metal and cut out any rotted areas and then weld in a piece of metal to fill the void and drill a new hole where the bushing sits in? Unfortunately both my driver and passenger sides are in need of repair so I don't really have anything to reference from. Any ideas?

Also any modifications you think I should do while I have it all apart? Maybe box in the part of the frame in front of the rear wheels?

Thanks!
Shane

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can the measurement from these and in case you weren't aware the frame is 14 gauge metal. I welded with stick on the fame, that metal sure didn't like anything else. I upgraded the factory welds too since the factory seemed to be in a hurry doing these frames

Metricframe.jpg

malibuframepic14ov.jpeg

zildjian4life218

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 17, 2009
Western New York
Thanks for the reply pontiacgp. That diagram will be very helpful. Also I did not know that the frame was made from 14 gauge metal. Would you agree with my method of cutting out whatever is rotted and then just weld in a new piece and then drill a new hole for the bushing? Also and frame modifications I should do?

Thanks
Shane

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would clean them up and lay a patch on top of the frame. I added a piece of 14 gauge to all the body bushings locations. The thickness of the metal won't have any effect on the installation of the body or the body bolts. I used the cut outs from the 14 gauge for washers that I welded in place for the control arm locations. I also welded in a strap to the lower rear control arm mount to give it a bit more strength and boxed the C channel of the frame

zildjian4life218

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 17, 2009
Western New York
I have a quick question. I am planning on boxing in the open c channel area of the frame and have some metal to do it. How should I have the frame oriented. Should I have the suspension on with it sitting on all four wheels sitting on the ground (level surface or course) or should I have it with jack stands supporting all four corners making sure it is level? Currently there is no suspension on the car since I am taking it all apart and sand blasting, painting, and installing new bushings. Any input?

Thanks everyone!
Shane

vonclod

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2012
Delta B.C.
i bought them at a local industrial fastener supplier..damn i cant remember the size..either 1 1/8th" or 1 1/2" inside diameter, it was another car ago..lol. im sure someone will pipe in with the right size

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor