86 Cutlass Starving For Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramirezantonio1409

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
I have a 1986 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme . when i start it it sounds like its starving for oil until i put it in drive. then it will sound fine for about 30 seconds and it will sound like its starving for oil again. Just had the engine rebuilt last fall. Any suggestions

gbodysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Those Buick V6s have the oil pump in the front cover, which wears over time. If only the gears were replaced, the wear in the front cover remains, causing low oil pressure. First, I would verify proper oil pressure. According to the GM service manual, you should have 37psi @2400rpm.

Reactions: 1 user

ramirezantonio1409

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Those Buick V6s have the oil pump in the front cover, which wears over time. If only the gears were replaced, the wear in the front cover remains, causing low oil pressure. First, I would verify proper oil pressure. According to the GM service manual, you should have 37psi @2400rpm.
ill have to check that out, thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor