86 cutlass, suggestions on upgrading rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joetib07

n00b
Feb 26, 2017
new to the forum, I have an 86 cutlass with a lightly modded olds 350 and th350 trans with stock rear, I'm looking for the easiest direct bolt in rear swap, any suggestions? Looking also for opinions on the best gearing as well, thanks!!

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
new to the forum, I have an 86 cutlass with a lightly modded olds 350 and th350 trans with stock rear, I'm looking for the easiest direct bolt in rear swap, any suggestions? Looking also for opinions on the best gearing as well, thanks!!

The easiest direct bolt in swap would be an 8.5 GM. The ones that came in the Grand Nationals and 442's. They are a little pricey nowadays. As far as gearing goes, it depends on what you want to do with the car.

Reactions: 1 user

alexd7392

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2016
California
Agreed with Opie. You want bigger than stock, but not too big or you'll lose drivability. Specially without an overdrive gear. I like this for determining what you want.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html
At the bottom, input everything and you can go gear by gear to determine engine rpm.

Joetib07

n00b
Feb 26, 2017
The easiest direct bolt in swap would be an 8.5 GM. The ones that came in the Grand Nationals and 442's. They are a little pricey nowadays. As far as gearing goes, it depends on what you want to do with the car.

Ok thanks, I may make it a drag car down the road so I was thinking something like 373 gears, I think the stock one is 243

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor