86 cutlass transmission question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinky_1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2008
hello there
I have an 86 cutlass with the chevy 305, as far as i know the original transmission should have been a 200r correct me if i am wrong. The previous owner had replaced that trans with a turbo 350 this transmission is toast what i am wondering is i have a powerglide 2 speed trans in my posession would this be a direct replacement for the current turbo 350 i have been told that it is .?

Second if this is a doable swap what would be the benifits as opposed to the negatives of running the 2 speed trans.

thank you

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Blinky_1986 said:
hello there
I have an 86 cutlass with the chevy 305, as far as i know the original transmission should have been a 200r correct me if i am wrong. The previous owner had replaced that trans with a turbo 350 this transmission is toast what i am wondering is i have a powerglide 2 speed trans in my posession would this be a direct replacement for the current turbo 350 i have been told that it is .?

Second if this is a doable swap what would be the benifits as opposed to the negatives of running the 2 speed trans.

thank you

Assuming the TH350 and PG are the same length (there were three different length TH350s and at least two PGs) then this is a bolt-in. The crossmember mount is in the same place and the driveshaft yoke is the same. Of course, first gear is only 1.76:1, so don't plan on doing any drag racing...

Blinky_1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2008
no the trans will only be for moving the vehicle to and fro so that i may finish the body work

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor