86 El Camino 5.7 vortec swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2017
So here is my question. Is there a fuel tank that I can use for example. Regal ,Monte Carlo that will accept the fuel pump out of a 96 pick up

Dylan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2017
I found that v6 model had an electric fuel pump but I don't know enough about them to know if that tank would support the newer style fuel pump

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I found that v6 model had an electric fuel pump but I don't know enough about them to know if that tank would support the newer style fuel pump

There are a few different G Bodies that came with fuel injection. My car has it. '86 Monte Carlo with the 4.3L. I've had the pump out before and it's pretty easy to remove from the sending unit. If I remember correctly, the pump in the truck is inside a plastic sending unit. I'm not sure how hard it would be to remove it and install it on the Monte Carlo sending unit. Also, another consideration, the TBI system runs on 13psi factory, I think. The Vortec system uses a little over 60psi. I'm not sure if the lines are the same size either. Then there's the issues with the spider injectors screwing up fairly often. There are intakes that fit the Vortec heads that let you use a carburetor or TBI. You might want to look into that.

Dylan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2017
There are a few different G Bodies that came with fuel injection. My car has it. '86 Monte Carlo with the 4.3L. I've had the pump out before and it's pretty easy to remove from the sending unit. If I remember correctly, the pump in the truck is inside a plastic sending unit. I'm not sure how hard it would be to remove it and install it on the Monte Carlo sending unit. Also, another consideration, the TBI system runs on 13psi factory, I think. The Vortec system uses a little over 60psi. I'm not sure if the lines are the same size either. Then there's the issues with the spider injectors screwing up fairly often. There are intakes that fit the Vortec heads that let you use a carburetor or TBI. You might want to look into that.
That thought has crossed my mind but im going to use the 4l60e out of the truck as well and if I go with a carb or TBI I'll have to buy a stand alone controller for the trans and that can get a little expensive. Since I have the whole truck and wiring harness I think it will be easier and cheaper to stay fuel injected

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
That thought has crossed my mind but im going to use the 4l60e out of the truck as well and if I go with a carb or TBI I'll have to buy a stand alone controller for the trans and that can get a little expensive. Since I have the whole truck and wiring harness I think it will be easier and cheaper to stay fuel injected

Good point. I'll have to see if I can find a fuel pump for one of those trucks at work and see what it looks like. Maybe someone on here has dealt with this problem before and will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor