86 el camino rear end gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
My 86 SS El Camino has the stock 305, a TH200-4R transmission with overdrive, and a 7.5in 2.56:1 rear end, 26 spline. I'm also pretty sure that it had a 2 series carrier. look at the link at the bottom. I'm looking to get 7.5in 3.73 rear end gears. I used the differential wizard on multiple websites, including ringpinion.com, and it gave me some gears to choose from that are 26 spline. I looked at all of them (even though this is the one that I want), and these all say 27 spline. Doesnt the spline count have to match the original, which is 26 spline? Or is my thinking wrong? I'm looking to do a painless, simple gear swap, but I can't figure this out. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

This is the webpage with the gears:
http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Produ...=Rear Diff - RWD&DiffId=201&Source=DiffWizard

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
The 26 spline count is in reference to the spline count for the carrier and the axles.
The 27 count spline is referring to the spline count on the pinion.
If you replace the carrier the spline count of the axles must match the new carrier.
If you are just replacing the ring and pinion 27 count pinion should be what you are looking for.
If you are using the non posi 2 series carrier you will have to use gears designed for this (Thick ring gear)
I have stock 3.73's in my 88 Monte Carlo SS with the 200-4R transmission and it helps the 305 to get out of its own way.
I have 4.10's in my 79 Monte Carlo with a turbo 350 transmission and a 406 small block which keeps the local gas station owner in business.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor