BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Did the zap zap on the exhaust and melted everything together. It's not tig quality but I don't really care. I got rid of 4 exhaust clamps so it looks a lot cleaner, should be easier to service in the future and mainly opens up some space under the car so if I'm doing anything under it hopefully I won't get caught in the clamps.

IMG_20210106_205419.jpg

IMG_20210106_222007.jpg

IMG_20210106_222656.jpg

And anyone venture to guess what this flying spaghetti monster is?
IMG_20210106_222804.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Did the zap zap on the exhaust and melted everything together. It's not tig quality but I don't really care. I got rid of 4 exhaust clamps so it looks a lot cleaner, should be easier to service in the future and mainly opens up some space under the car so if I'm doing anything under it hopefully I won't get caught in the clamps.

View attachment 166053
View attachment 166054
View attachment 166055

And anyone venture to guess what this flying spaghetti monster is?
View attachment 166057

Clutch release delay valve?

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Clutch release delay valve?

Yup!

Hope to do some testing on it soon. I need to clean up everything since the parts were used and dug out of the parts bin and semi bench bleed it before I put it on the car but it 'should' work...

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Fired up the garage heater (decided 50F was warm enough) and convinced myself to get some of the power steering stuff done.

The input shaft seal has been leaking a little bit lately and ordered a seal kit. Maybe a 20 minute project to knock off the jamb nut and input bearing retainer, replace the o ring and pair of seals and reinstall. Pretty straightforward.
IMG_20210109_114601.jpg

And then my summit order showed up right after I finished the pump reseal after being 2 days late which had my hose fittings.

Built the return hose with an Edelman 90 and an air hose style crimp since dad has the tool and I borrowed it. I really prefer using rubber hose over AN braided in places like this.

Pressure hose I still need to get made. I borrowed a hose from work (one perk of working in a hydraulic test lab) but I was able to test fit one of 90's -6 hose on both sides to make sure everything fits and to know the length. Gotta wait til next week because all the hydraulic shops that are usually open Saturday are closed with the covid excuse until further notice.

Overall it's a lot cleaner than the stock 2500 gmt800 hoses were. The stock hoses were free and worked for 4 years but the $40 this will cost me is worth the cleaner routing.
IMG_20210109_122455.jpg

IMG_20210109_122535.jpg

IMG_20210109_123653.jpg

IMG_20210109_123003.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'm going to have to buy a lottery ticket after this one.

Im prepared to do a mini frame notch next month to fit the 15x10's and wanted to start with a fresh set of body bushings. Stock ones looked ok but they are soft and sagging in a few spots.

I decided to order the summit body bushings after hearing they are poly and slightly stiffer than stock rubber but not energy suspensions control arm rock level.

The summit ones are somewhere between the rubber and energy suspensions rock poly bushings. I'm pretty impressed especially for the price. There is 26 bushings total and it's like $130 so the piece price is really reasonable. They aren't a OE level copy since they assemble slightly different in a few spots, and the front cowl bushings are smaller OD so I question the long term 10+ year life of those for a daily driver but I'm sure it's fine for a summer street/race car.

I was fully prepared to break bolts and possibly weld frame holes and spend hours cursing but every single bolt came out and there was no frame rot anywhere.

It took about 3 hours start to finish and I didn't soak any bolts previously.

Like I say, I gotta buy a lottery ticket after how smooth this one went.

The kit unboxed
IMG_20210109_191411_1.jpg

Just used a 2x4 on the rocker seem and a prybar and 4x4 on a bottle jack in a few areas to lift the body off the frame.
IMG_20210109_192354.jpg

Old bushings vs new set. Old ones were soft and eaten apart slightly in a few spots but hardly wasted.
IMG_20210109_204202.jpg

IMG_20210109_222835.jpg
IMG_20210109_204228.jpg

Usually I'm a tightwad and really considered the hockey puck method but the price for quality no bs fitment and new washers and sleeves is worth it for me on this one.

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
And you didn't pull either bumper or drop the gas tank? Everything had enough flex?

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
And you didn't pull either bumper or drop the gas tank? Everything had enough flex?

I didn't remove the bumpers or tank. I haven't run the car since or took a thorough look over everything to make sure nothing broke. The front bumper cover is bolted to the bumper in a few spots and I noticed it was starting to stretch/bend a little but I was able to get everything off without touching them. I'm pretty confident everything is fine. Nothing seemed overly tight.

The middle mount near the crossmember is the worst to get out and I had to lift the body the most. It's almost like the body has a dowel for alignment to the frame and the frame surround the mount 3/4 the way around so it's tough to get out compared to the rest.

If I had a car with nice or fresh paint or something like a regal with bumper fillers I would have had to pull the bumpers sure. I wasn't concerned if I got a stress crack in the paint though since the paint on this car is wasted and needs redone.

Reactions: 6 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm going to have to buy a lottery ticket after this one.

I was fully prepared to break bolts and possibly weld frame holes and spend hours cursing but every single bolt came out and there was no frame rot anywhere.

It took about 3 hours start to finish and I didn't soak any bolts previously.

Welcome to southern midwest cars. Took all the bolts out in my sedan donor car, turned out like thy were put in last year. After te body was off for scrappage, the frame looked like it was 3 years old. Not a sincle bushing hole was bad.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor