BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So a bit of backstory-

Using an LS PCM in ways Delphi never intended.

This link has a ohm to temp chart for the GM temp sensor, which is the same from 1985ish to deep 2010's.

And this is how to install an external trans temp sensor on like a th400. 60/80e's have a sensor inside the trans pan. This person actually used a GM ECT and just tapped it into the harness to the Red 51 and Blue 41 pins.

I figured a trans temp input is a temp input, and looking at the resistance ranges the GM trans temp from a 60/80e curve is the same as a ECT, and since I have a t56 I can 'upcycle' that temp input into whatever temp input I want.

But knowing my luck-
For the life of me, HPtuners would not change the trans temp in the scanner, it only logged voltage. No worry. If I have learned anything in 6 years of engineering schooling and 4 of industry it's how to run Excel lol.

1613879392152.png

And why did I have to do it this calibrate myself way? Well, there is something odd and Ohms law wasn't working. With constant current supply of 0.014 amp which is what I measured at multiple temperatures, and known resistance, it should be easy to find the voltage. It SHOULD have output volts in a normal 0-5 range, but the case here obviously is not working. Not sure why. These sensors don't have a linear temp to resistance curve either. There is something in the system I don't understand. I almost called my EE buddy but decided to brute force it.

Obviously Ohms law assumes a linear relationship between voltage and resistance, but the calibration I did above is obvious that the voltage response is roughly cubic, so I don't know what's up. Regardless it's working and now i need to hard wire everything in.
1613879523311.png

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
So a bit of backstory-

This link has a ohm to temp chart for the GM temp sensor, which is the same from 1985ish to deep 2010's.

And this is how to install an external trans temp sensor on like a th400. 60/80e's have a sensor inside the trans pan. This person actually used a GM ECT and just tapped it into the harness to the Red 51 and Blue 41 pins.

I figured a trans temp input is a temp input, and looking at the resistance ranges the GM trans temp from a 60/80e curve is the same as a ECT, and since I have a t56 I can 'upcycle' that temp input into whatever temp input I want.

But knowing my luck-
For the life of me, HPtuners would not change the trans temp in the scanner, it only logged voltage. No worry. If I have learned anything in 6 years of engineering schooling and 4 of industry it's how to run Excel lol.

View attachment 168996

And why did I have to do it this calibrate myself way? Well, there is something odd and Ohms law wasn't working. With constant current supply of 0.014 amp which is what I measured at multiple temperatures, and known resistance, it should be easy to find the voltage. It SHOULD have output volts in a normal 0-5 range, but the case here obviously is not working. Not sure why. These sensors don't have a linear temp to resistance curve either. There is something in the system I don't understand. I almost called my EE buddy but decided to brute force it.

Obviously Ohms law assumes a linear relationship between voltage and resistance, but the calibration I did above is obvious that the voltage response is roughly cubic, so I don't know what's up. Regardless it's working and now i need to hard wire everything in.
View attachment 168997
That stock ECU life bro. 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Great stuff!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So a bit of backstory-

But knowing my luck-

View attachment 168996

View attachment 168997

This is good stuff. But doesn't resistance increase as temperature rises? Which is why it is a nonlinear result?

From my early morning reading: Special Limits of Error is used for thresholds where the response is less predictable due to the inherent nature of materials in play. Basically the low and high end of the designed range.

Seebeck Effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
But doesn't resistance increase as temperature rises? Which is why it is a nonlinear result?

gm temp sensors are ntc thermistors. as temp goes up, resistance goes down.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I am no rocket surgeon.
lol
no holiday inn express stays for me either.
just completed my ASE tests. they hammer this stuff into our heads.
computer temp sensors are ntc thermistors.
regular gauge sensors are not. as temp goes up, so does resistance. just like you thought.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
lol
no holiday inn express stays for me either.
just completed my ASE tests. they hammer this stuff into our heads.
computer temp sensors are ntc thermistors.
regular gauge sensors are not. as temp goes up, so does resistance. just like you thought.

I am so smart... I am so smart!

university GIF

S-M-R-T!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So a bit of backstory-

But knowing my luck-

View attachment 168996

View attachment 168997

So you're adding the ability to log trans temp, not actually adding a gauge correct? Cool stuff.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So you're adding the ability to log trans temp, not actually adding a gauge correct? Cool stuff.

The stock PCM's have 3 temp inputs, intake air temp, engine coolant temp, and trans temp. Since a t56 doesn't need a trans temp sensor, I am using that input to log aftercooler water temp through HPtuners to understand if my circulation pump needs to be bigger or if I need better ducting on my heat exchanger.

I have a decent rise of 40F through a 1/4 mile pass on IAT, so I am wondering if it's the blower case heat soaking, which I think it is but I don't think it's causing the air to warm up based on engine masters testing where they ice or flame heat the intake on the dyno, or if the water is absorbing heat in the aftercooler and not rejecting it well enough in the heat exchanger.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor