GRAND PRIX 86 Grand Prix LE Refresh w/Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Okay, so... a few things have been nagging at me, and research proved fruitless.

1) My dashboard fascia looks pitted and is painted Black. As far as I know, this is Not Stock.. it should be wood grain. Is this a correct assumption?

2) I have my build sheet and it states "Suspension , Rally tuned" - It's only $50 ($110 in todays money) so I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering, but I can't seem to find out exactly what this means.

3) I have the 4 Speed Automatic. Assuming 200R4. Ive read pro's and con's about this transmission. The last time I built a car with an AT, I had a 350TH built for a 400hp 6.6L in a Trans Am. I do NOT plan on taking the 305 any further than letting it breathe.. Headers/True Duals/Flowmaster 40's for sure.. POSSIBLY a Edelbrock Performer intake and a 600cfm.. Thats it. I don't assume this will be a problem with a stock 200R4.

4) AC dooesn't work, but I believe this is due to the controls on the dash not working. Moving it left and right does nothing, it stays on Defrost. Hot/Cold work. In the past, Ive heard a hissing noise when changing the controls, I assume this is a vacuum type set-up. Is the GP a set-up like this, or it is easier? more complicated?

5) Cruise control doesn't work. No clue where to start on this.

6) While Ive been a lurker for awhile, and have read quite a bit of this forum, I haven't seen any "Have To" things to do.. Are there any "Must Do's"?

My First mission is suspension. The tires are Old (and I mean old... date code is 1994), and I think they're flat-spotted -- the suspension is generally bumpy, and not as it should be. I found the poly suspension bushing kit on rockauto ($210) Thinking this kit, shocks, and tires ought to do the trick. Taking into consideration that this vehicle sat still for most of its life, do you think the kit is worth the $210?

Second is exhaust. Got a local shop here, I'm just going to have them bend me up the true duals/flowmasters and install the headers with locking bolts... gettin too old to lay on my back doin this crap.

Thanks for your time and responses!

-Gonz

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
All good questions, I can probably answer a couple...
1- yes, it looks like someone peeled the wood decal from it... Should look like this: IMG_20180617_124238926.jpg
Although, I think some of the earlier cars may have had a stainless looking decal...

2-does the build sheet have a code by the suspension listing? You might have the FE2 suspension, where the F41 was the top suspension... Even these are pretty poor by today's offerings. You'll probably see a lot of posting on suspension upgrades, and there's some great supporting vendors here.

3- even with the earthshaking #'s the 305 puts out, the 200r4 should be fine.

4- sounds like a vacuum leak. Should be a pinkish/purplish vac line from the bottom of the dash to the pass side underhood area. Sometimes the switch on the control head is the culprit.

5- check fuses first. Always start with the basics. Also may want to check the brake switches, there's one for the brake, and one for the cruise. Not sure where to go from here, as mine was butchered and gone when I got it.

Sounds like you have a good plan in order. Always start with maintenance first, and you have a great start for your build. Welcome to the family!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Second is exhaust. Got a local shop here, I'm just going to have them bend me up the true duals/flowmasters and install the headers with locking bolts... gettin too old to lay on my back doin this crap.
Read this thread: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/jegs-stainless-exhaust-kit-super-deal.70019/
This will be a good kit to use & Jegs seems to have it on sale alot, get the double hump crossmember from them or G Force/Summit one.
I have the 4 Speed Automatic. Assuming 200R4. Ive read pro's and con's about this transmission. The last time I built a car with an AT, I had a 350TH built for a 400hp 6.6L in a Trans Am. I do NOT plan on taking the 305 any further than letting it breathe.. Headers/True Duals/Flowmaster 40's for sure.. POSSIBLY a Edelbrock Performer intake and a 600cfm.. Thats it. I don't assume this will be a problem with a stock 200R4.
You could get it rebuilt to GN/GNX or 442 spec, best stock units for our cars. There is still enough support for the TH200-4R out there build it up to handle a stronger engine. But adding an extra pedal under the dash would be an improvement in the fun factor. ;)

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Ok! Tagged and Titled it today... Temp Tags while they make my custom plates -

GP LE 86

Drove it to my guy, and when I pulled up, he peeked out of the garage and just grinned.. This guy is great... does custom rat rods, owns his own shop.. literally, 7 blocks down the street. Ive known him for a Long Time. I trust him implicitly. I also like to use local businesses. Besides, anyone with a 57 Chevy with a 468 in it, is okay in my book.

Headman Headers with locking bolts
custom bent duals (not stainless, all welded)
Flowmaster 40's
Exhaust out 45 Deg behind rear wheel
Nice chrome tips, also welded
Monroe shocks all around
4 BFG Radial T/A's.. (205/70-14 front, 225/70-14 Rear - I like the stance with the rear up just about an inch or so.. ) - Balanced, with an alignment.

Everything Installed, obviously - I'm gettin' too old to lay on my back in the gravel driveway. And, since it's his baby (That's what he calls the cars he works on - the owners just drive them) hes going to give it a thorough look-over and make any recommendations.. specifically the suspension.. he was immediately talking bushings from sitting for so long, and I was on the same page.

For everything listed - $1,621

I don't think its Cheap, I don't think its Expensive... I think its Fair.

Opinions?

-Gonz

**EDIT: Added Tags Pic

Attachments

• tags.png
    tags.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
sounds like a good price. great looking car! glad you have a guy that appreciates it as much as you do.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Before you go all in on replacing bushings, you may want to look into aftermarket control arms that will correct the geometry and improve the handling. It will make a huge difference in the ride and responsiveness. New springs and shocks, too.....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I did find out what the Rally Pack was.

Stabilizer Bar, Front
Stabilizer Bar, Rear
Steering Box, Special
Suspension, Special

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Check with your insurance company, some give a discount for personalized plates cause they are easier to spot in case the car is stolen......and easier to remember if your drive like you own the road....

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
look on the spid label on the inside of the trunk lid.... you should see a "F41" or maybe a "FE2" code... F41 was the better setup, which included the better sways, and tighter steering gear (2 1/2 turns lock-to-lock, instead of the 3 1/4)

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
look on the spid label on the inside of the trunk lid.... you should see a "F41" or maybe a "FE2" code... F41 was the better setup, which included the better sways, and tighter steering gear (2 1/2 turns lock-to-lock, instead of the 3 1/4)

On the build sheet and window sticker, the option is marked as Y99.

Checked the trunk sticker, its F41

-Gonz

Build Sheet.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor