GRAND PRIX 86 Grand Prix LE - Two Tone Silver/Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Welp.. I finally found one. It took awhile.

How long, you might ask? Well, I wanted one in '86 when I was 16 when my neighbor bought one.. I fell in love with it.

Requirements:
Two Tone Silver/Grey
Console Shift
Not a complete basket case

What I found:
Two Tone Silver/Grey
Console
4Sp. OD Automatic (200R4?)
Power Windows
Power Locks
Tilt
AC
Gauges (not dummy lights) for temp, oil, volts.
Rally II's
Rear Defrost
Remote Mirrors (Both Sides)
A Friend of a Friend's Grandmothers Car. Garaged all its life. 50k original miles only because her son drove it to keep it going.

Saw it online at a dealer in "The Middle Of Nowhere Ohio" (and I am not exaggerating). I called the guy. Laid all my cards out on the table. This is it. All Checkboxes checked, and then some. This was the car I have been looking for.

The price was high. Not outrageous, but higher than I wanted to spend by about $1,500.

I asked if there was some wiggle room, and the guy blew me away when he said it had been on his lot for over a month, and he was enjoying driving it too much. He had to get rid of it.. In his words: "I gotta sell this car.. its been on my lot too long and if I kept every car I loved, I wouldn't be in business. But, to be honest, Ive been driving this car, and I love it."

Boom.

Got more pics, and the more I saw, the more my jaw dropped.. incredible condition.. Flaws, of course, but minor at best, and it is, after all, 32 years old... but man... This was it.

We talked a bit, and it turns out he was a car enthusiast hisself, and really appreciated the fact that this was going to go to someone who would take care of it, and (his words) "Not F**k it up, and make it a hoopdie".

He dropped the price to $32 less than I had to spend.

I said "Ok, I'm on my way. If it is what you say it is, its sold. If it isn't, I'm gonna be pissed to drive all that way." I didn't realize I hadn't mentioned I lived 6 hours away.

Woke up the wife, said "We're leaving"
"Where are we going?"
"Ohio"
"What? When?"
"NOW"
*smiled, and handed her a cup of coffee*

I'm driving and driving going "I'm not buying it if it is a POS Rust Bucket." "Hes lying to me" "This is too good, something is wrong" trying to make sure in my own head that "if its a POS, Don't Buy It"

But the guy really did sound like a good guy.. down to earth, no BS... But who trusts a used car salesman, right?

I get there... Ill be damned... It Is Awesome. Perfect? No. But DAMN... Its incredible.

Bought it, drove it 6 hours home... Oil Pressure fluttered a little once in awhile, but nothing drastic. Suspension needs attention, but again, nothing drastic (Tires are from 2005 - out of balance, flat spots, basically trash - sat for awhile)

I have found two rust spots on the entire car. About the size of a dime and a nickel. Yeah, that's it. I am not joking.

I am sitting outside, right now, on my porch, staring at this car typing on my laptop, giddier than a kid who got the date with the prom queen and got her to drop her dress on the floor with a smile.

Pics in the morning, and yes, you will want to see these pics.

Price? You wouldn't believe me if I told you, so I wont. :)

I will be here until probably dawn, just staring, smiling, and shaking my head going "I can't f**king believe it".

(and you won't either)

Not an idiot when it comes to drivetrain/mechanics... Let the 305 breathe (headers, flowmaster 40's, duals, probably a 600 or 650 with a performer intake, Im not a power junkie. Possibly a eaton 3.73 posi sometime. If the 305 craps out (yeah, right) a 355/383/400 would be on the table. Its got Rally II's on it, but they're blacked out. Maybe paint the silver back on the tear drops of the spokes, but probably going to keep them and go with old school cragar SS's.. mild stance, maybe 1", nothing stupid...

More in the daylight! I will probably be up still... :)

-Gonz

• Happy
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
:worthless:

Yes,please post some pictures ASAP !!
And congratulations on finally getting the car of your dreams.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome to the site! Glad you found your dream car...it does sound like a beauty.

Now....where's the pics!!!!!

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That was a really nice dream you had! Pics or doesn't exist.

• Agree

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
sounds a little like mine, looked for dang near 20 years or more for an affordable t-top/console GP. found mine at an estate auction a couple years ago.... after I found my dream car, I found out that nightmares are dreams too.

show us yours, and I'll show you mine! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Wow,that's a real beauty !!!
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor