86 MCSS suspension parts needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
fairly new to this forum and doing some research. picked up an 86 monte carlo ss with a pretty clean frame and body (basically only some surface rust on the frame). I am in the process of building an engine for it (lq9) but want to have the entire front suspension ,brakes etc completely redone so to NOT have to go back in. I alreeady have qa1 level 2 street complete set coming and will likely be running the aldan coilovers. My questions are the following . 1. is anything else needed to lower the car or is the coilovers and complete front suspension enough? 2. is there a part number for the entire front spindle or do the 11" big rotor brake kits bring the spindle aswell. 3. Steering shaft and box any upgrade recommendations aswell as brake booster upgrades? i am planning on putting in 11" rotors and big calipers in the front and switching out the real drums for a caliper and rotor set. thanks in advance. i apologize if i am everywhere on this post. got several other unrelated projects going on at the same time.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The best way to drop the front is with drop spindles. Belltech sells a 2" drop S10 2wd spindle. Then you can use the unitized 2wd S10 wheel bearing and upgrade to C5/C6 rotors and calipers.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
The best way to drop the front is with drop spindles. Belltech sells a 2" drop S10 2wd spindle. Then you can use the unitized 2wd S10 wheel bearing and upgrade to C5/C6 rotors and calipers.
Would the belltech drop spindles work woth the qa1 suspension?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
fairly new to this forum and doing some research. picked up an 86 monte carlo ss with a pretty clean frame and body (basically only some surface rust on the frame). I am in the process of building an engine for it (lq9) but want to have the entire front suspension ,brakes etc completely redone so to NOT have to go back in. I alreeady have qa1 level 2 street complete set coming and will likely be running the aldan coilovers. My questions are the following . 1. is anything else needed to lower the car or is the coilovers and complete front suspension enough? 2. is there a part number for the entire front spindle or do the 11" big rotor brake kits bring the spindle aswell. 3. Steering shaft and box any upgrade recommendations aswell as brake booster upgrades? i am planning on putting in 11" rotors and big calipers in the front and switching out the real drums for a caliper and rotor set. thanks in advance. i apologize if i am everywhere on this post. got several other unrelated projects going on at the same time.
By this statement are you referring to the S10 Blazer brake swap? The Blazer brakes while larger than a g-body are only marginally larger. Referring to them as a 'big rotor' is only accurate when compared to the stock brake rotor. LS1 brake swaps have 12" rotors, C5/6 or 6th GEN f-body rotors are 13-14".

If referring to the Blazer spindle/brake swap, Belltech does make a 2" drop spindle for that application that helps lower the vehicle. The S10 Blazer & g-body use the same ball-joints so the arms will bolt up.
Spindles + coil-overs in combination will possibly get you too low where other mods might be needed.

Tire size (height/width), wheel size, & back-space/offset can all impact how well any given combo works as well.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
By this statement are you referring to the S10 Blazer brake swap? The Blazer brakes while larger than a g-body are only marginally larger. Referring to them as a 'big rotor' is only accurate when compared to the stock brake rotor. LS1 brake swaps have 12" rotors, C5/6 or 6th GEN f-body rotors are 13-14".

If referring to the Blazer spindle/brake swap, Belltech does make a 2" drop spindle for that application that helps lower the vehicle. The S10 Blazer & g-body use the same ball-joints so the arms will bolt up.
Spindles + coil-overs in combination will possibly get you too low where other mods might be needed.

Tire size (height/width), wheel size, & back-space/offset can all impact how well any given combo works as well.
I was looking at the Wilwood kit. I believe it’s 11 or 12” rotor kit. But if the ls1 is basically the same for less I’d def go that route. As is this thing is getting ridiculously pricey. Is ls1 brakes and rotors drop in or they require some type of modifications?

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
I was looking at the Wilwood kit. I believe it’s 11 or 12” rotor kit. But if the ls1 is basically the same for less I’d def go that route. As is this thing is getting ridiculously pricey. Is ls1 brakes and rotors drop in or they require some type of modifications?
Found what looks like replacement brembo c5/c6 calipers on amazon last night and cant seem to find them today. the ones im finding now are pricey. i guess what i need toknow is what i will be needing to complete this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor