86 monte carlo floor shift into 1980 el camino floor shift wiper wiring dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nrobson79

n00b
Feb 18, 2019
I have a 1980 SS el camino, came with buckets and floor shift. Wiper switch was mounted on the dash. I have an 86 monte carlo floor shift tilt column with wiper switch mounted on the column. I want to make the 86 column switch work as designed on an 86. Want to wire the switch in column to the pulse delay wiper motor i have in vehicle. What wires do what on the 86 switch?
White
Purple
Grey
Green
Pink

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Ima go out on a limb and say that it probably won't work correctly unless you switch over to a newer style wiper motor. There was a major wiring redeux in 1985. But here's your schematic courtesy of http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/DelayPulseWipep-Washer.jpg
1550576902465.png

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Been there.

You'll have a much easier time with an 84-up wiper motor (with delay board) and wire pigtails for the motor.

The 84+ wiper motor diagram is tough to find, but long story short, the white wire from the fusebox will need to go to the switch connector, instead of out through the firewall connector to the motor. The black ground wire is not used on the 84+ motor, but motor is grounded to chassis at motor.

Best bet to retain current delay setup is to change wiper switch in the column to the 82/83 switch,

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you do convert to the newer wiper motor, you'll need to find the pigtail(s) from a later G-body. The one to the wiper motor and the larger one from the column switch connector. I'll see if I come up with a picture of one. You may also have to add a few leads from the column switch (connector) to the motor. I think it was the green and white leads , if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to look at it again. White is your +12 volt power source to the switch...and green should be for the delay mode.

MVC-654S.JPG
MVC-652S.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Another method would be get a '82-'83 coulmn switch to replace the one in the new coulmn. You'd have to pull the wheel to swap them but you'd be able to direct connect the wires. Sometimes it's easier to more work than you want to switch one part than trying to addapt parts to work.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor