86 monte carlo ss fuel tank for efi 800-1000 hp range tt

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
If you’re in South Florida go to Racefittngs talk to James they he is great and helps out a ton. Amazing parts dealer but they also have some nice aluminum tanks with a sump that fit in the stock location. If not I’m sure they can either weld the sump in the in house shop or send you to someone who can. Might also want to check with Danny at South Florida Muscle Cars but he’s usually pretty busy.
Man if that fits stock location and ain’t crazy expensive…. That works for me. Says 2015 hope they still have some

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Man if that fits stock location and ain’t crazy expensive…. That works for me. Says 2015 hope they still have some
They still make em. Regardless he can point in good direction. James is good people.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
I’ve bought mine from an eBay seller in Connecticut. Quality pieces. He’s one of the few that makes them with a -10 or -12 fitting.

If you need the link to him, then let me know.

View attachment 203244 View attachment 203243 View attachment 203242
Received my stock tank , sending unit and sump this week. hoping to find someone to weld it on for me. but i have some questions, im new to this and learning as i go. The sending unit i received has 2 hose connections, im assuming one (main ) needs to be capped off and the other needs to be connected as a breather (vent). Where does the vent one go? Also my sending unit doesnt have any wires, just a push on pin. Planning on running 10an fiitings. TIA

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
They still make em. Regardless he can point in good direction. James is good people.
Got my tank and had the sump welded on. Was a pain to find someone to do it. apparently TIG welding is a b*tch. took it to the place next to james atrace fittings i think its called killa racing, and buddy told me 250.00 to weld it on cuz 'tig aint no joke' .So i took it to a place down in sw miami that the owner does amazing work. got it done for 100.00. looks great. Now i have another question, i have a new sending unit that has 2 returns only (original one had 3) im assuming i need to cap off the main line at the pump but i have no idea where the vent line goes? is there a return? i know there were three lines up top over the axle but i onl remember seeing two come out the frame upfront by the right suspension.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You need a return line. And you need a tank vent. Where are you planning to run the return fuel?

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
There is another way Paduan.

The facebooks has a new answer.

Screenshot_20220801-165318_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
You need a return line. And you need a tank vent. Where are you planning to run the return fuel?
Could I use the pick up line? The tank is sumped. So technically if I need only two lines they are there. Just not sure how this all goes.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can. You might need to modify the pickup in the tank that you're going to repurpose. Also, it would be best if you were make a secure method of attaching the return line.

81cutlass - calling Jake. Jake modified his sending unit to make solid connections. He has pics in his build thread for the GP 2+2. Perhaps he can direct you to some photos.

I welded a -6 fitting into the front side of the tank and attached a line inside the tank that directs the return flow away from pickup, but it was a pain in the butt to get the line installed. The next time I do this I'm going to make the entire deal on a plate (4"x4" or so) of flat 12 gauge steel and cut a hole in the front of the tank and have the plate contain the entire apparatus. But you can use the pickup as long as it's at least 3/8".

One issue you need to address is having the pumps staged. Originally, I tried running two AEM380's at the same time and returning through a -6 line. The -6 (3/8) return couldn't handle the flow - I created a small bit (sarcasm) too much fuel pressure and blew the factory plastic truck rails apart haha. The engine ran for about 15 seconds on initial startup and then kaflooey - gas every where :doh: It was definitely a fire extinguisher moment haha.

I believe a -8 return would've resolved it, but I was too committed to the -6 return at that point. And FWIW, I still have the -6 return and stage the pumps. Works great (no kidding). I can see in the datalogs when the 2nd pump comes on via a small spike of about 5psi of fuel pressure and then it levels out as fuel demand goes up. I don't need the 2nd pump on the street because I never make more than a 5 second hit and rarely have the boost turned up on the street.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, you just need something that works reliably. Can you attach a picture of your sending unit or attach a link to the sending unit?

EDIT : I missed Duke's Holley solution. That would work great, but be sure to be sitting down for the price I'll guess.

Reactions: 1 user

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
You can. You might need to modify the pickup in the tank that you're going to repurpose. Also, it would be best if you were make a secure method of attaching the return line.

81cutlass - calling Jake. Jake modified his sending unit to make solid connections. He has pics in his build thread for the GP 2+2. Perhaps he can direct you to some photos.

I welded a -6 fitting into the front side of the tank and attached a line inside the tank that directs the return flow away from pickup, but it was a pain in the butt to get the line installed. The next time I do this I'm going to make the entire deal on a plate (4"x4" or so) of flat 12 gauge steel and cut a hole in the front of the tank and have the plate contain the entire apparatus. But you can use the pickup as long as it's at least 3/8".

One issue you need to address is having the pumps staged. Originally, I tried running two AEM380's at the same time and returning through a -6 line. The -6 (3/8) return couldn't handle the flow - I created a small bit (sarcasm) too much fuel pressure and blew the factory plastic truck rails apart haha. The engine ran for about 15 seconds on initial startup and then kaflooey - gas every where :doh: It was definitely a fire extinguisher moment haha.

I believe a -8 return would've resolved it, but I was too committed to the -6 return at that point. And FWIW, I still have the -6 return and stage the pumps. Works great (no kidding). I can see in the datalogs when the 2nd pump comes on via a small spike of about 5psi of fuel pressure and then it levels out as fuel demand goes up. I don't need the 2nd pump on the street because I never make more than a 5 second hit and rarely have the boost turned up on the street.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, you just need something that works reliably. Can you attach a picture of your sending unit or attach a link to the sending unit?

EDIT : I missed Duke's Holley solution. That would work great, but be sure to be sitting down for the price I'll guess.
Sounds like a great time 😳. I was hoping to be able to run the return i through the pick up. Since tank is sumped and picking up from the back I’m assuming the return fuel will come back flowing towards the front of the tank. This is a sender from rock auto. Didn’t want to spend crazy money on a sender since I sumped it. Thanks for the input

Attachments

• 5EF4469B-1748-41EC-B78D-59550E45C625.jpeg
    5EF4469B-1748-41EC-B78D-59550E45C625.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor