86 Monte Carlo SS Rear End - 26 or 28 Spline Axles???

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
In the process of upgrading the rear end in my 87 El Camino which came with a 3.08 gear ratio but wanted something with a little more grunt. So I picked up an extra rear end a while back supposedly out of an 86 Monte Carlo SS. Gonna go through this and replace bearings, seals and the carrier to a limited slip but wasn't sure of the spline count on the axle since I saw a thread on here from a few years back discussing whether or not they came with 26 or 28 spline axles. So I looked up the code on the axle tube which was 2TF and I found it's correct for an 86 Monte Carlo SS which should make it a 7.625 carrier and 3.73 gear set. Then I pulled out the axles and counted the splines and came up with 26. Now I know what parts to order for the rear end rebuild but am still trying to find what the correct speedometer gear(s) to use in my 200-4R for these new gears. Anyone have this info?

20200106_175029.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't know what gear to tell you to use, but PATC or Chris at CK Performance will. Give them a call and know your tire diameter when you call.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Gbodybodyparts.com has the correct gears.
Screenshot_20200109-064047_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor