86 Monte Carlo ss UCA stud bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Never mind
Yeah, he came back and made a possible mention of finding some UCA bolts in post 2. Or so it seemed. You sorta had to read into it a bit or you'd miss it. That's why I used "assume" in my post thinking he was now looking for the small rear tank strap bolts.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Yeah, he came back and made a possible mention of finding some UCA bolts in post 2. Or so it seemed. You sorta had to read into it a bit or you'd miss it. That's why I used "assume" in my post thinking he was now looking for the small rear tank strap bolts.
was able to order the uca bolts and the steering gear bolts (was raped for 2 of those). trying to find the bolts for the tank now. what a paint in the arse.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
any chance you have the bolts dimensions for the proportioning valve?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
HWH (hex washer head) Tap type screws, cadmium plated. About 2" long.

M8 x 1.25 x 50mm

GM p/n 11504955. Need 2. Discontinued from GM.

Easiest to find these from someone parting a G-body somewhere or a junkyard jewel.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
HWH (hex washer head) Tap type screws, cadmium plated. About 2" long.

M8 x 1.25 x 50mm

GM p/n 11504955. Need 2. Discontinued from GM.

Easiest to find these from someone parting a G-body somewhere or a junkyard jewel.
Man how do you have all that info? Lol. I have them but they have rust and I hate the idea of putting in old bolts when I had frame powdercoated. But I think I found a solution. I’m leaving all bolts in ospho over night to strip rust and coating and then I can re coat in the black oxide

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nearly all the info I have on the stuff is from my own NOS parts stash.

As far as cleaning up the bolts, if you don't have a blaster, or bolt cleaning tumbler, etc., ...Evaporust works very well for soaking bolts and de-rusting them. Follow that up with a wire brush on a drill or grinder motor, and the bolts likely should be good enough for whatever coating you wish. But if you already have the Ospho, use that first.

Reactions: 1 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
Man how do you have all that info? Lol. I have them but they have rust and I hate the idea of putting in old bolts when I had frame powdercoated. But I think I found a solution. I’m leaving all bolts in ospho over night to strip rust and coating and then I can re coat in the black oxide
Like 69hurstolds mentions, the old "printed" parts manuals from back in the day would typically list the bolt specs for a given part number. In some cases they didn't provide an actual factory replacement part number for bolts, and just assumed you replace with appropriate off the shelf hardware. Pretty much any substantial fasteners from suspension to engine components would be in the Grade 5-8 strength.

See sample here: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/bolt-question.84825/#post-896940

The 80's were a fun time with transitioning from US standard to Metric fasteners in some places, but not all. When I need good fasteners I usually hit the local ACE Hardware, they have a full line of HILLMAN nuts/bolts, and about every type of clip, screw, pins, stainless, black, chrome, etc..you might need. What's best is they usually have them out in the aisle where you can browse the drawers instead of behind the counter where if you're not sure what you might need get's annoying when you have to depend on a clerk to get everything for you. In the latter case, you'll really want to just hand them your list with specs to save a lot of time.

hillman.jpg

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
You can replace the tap type bolts with regular bolts. The threads were already cut when the factory installed the self tapping bolts.

Reactions: 2 users

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Like 69hurstolds mentions, the old "printed" parts manuals from back in the day would typically list the bolt specs for a given part number. In some cases they didn't provide an actual factory replacement part number for bolts, and just assumed you replace with appropriate off the shelf hardware. Pretty much any substantial fasteners from suspension to engine components would be in the Grade 5-8 strength.

See sample here: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/bolt-question.84825/#post-896940

The 80's were a fun time with transitioning from US standard to Metric fasteners in some places, but not all. When I need good fasteners I usually hit the local ACE Hardware, they have a full line of HILLMAN nuts/bolts, and about every type of clip, screw, pins, stainless, black, chrome, etc..you might need. What's best is they usually have them out in the aisle where you can browse the drawers instead of behind the counter where if you're not sure what you might need get's annoying when you have to depend on a clerk to get everything for you. In the latter case, you'll really want to just hand them your list with specs to save a lot of time.

View attachment 204251
any idea where i can see a manual with all that info? i can get part numberf rom dealer but finding it hard to get actual dimensions. well thanks to you ive beenable to get some. beside that im out,

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
any idea where i can see a manual with all that info? i can get part numberf rom dealer but finding it hard to get actual dimensions. well thanks to you ive beenable to get some. beside that im out,
I'm sure they're most all out of print at this point, but you may want to check eBay or other online auctions if someone has a copy left over from those days. I just happened to work for GM, and was lucky enough to score some of the more popular ones when the parts dept was throwing them out and transitioning to digital parts lookups. Having said that, you need only ask on this forum for some help and I'm sure I or other members with the info would be happy to help out.

See here, and the over all thread for more help as well...this site is a treasure trove of info thanks to the generosity of it's members. Good luck on your project!

For others reading this, I also have 82-91 F BODY Camaro Illustrated Parts, as well as 84-90 Y BODY Corvette and 85-91 N Body Cutlass Calais (FWD) if anyone needs something looked up or an illustration, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor