86 Monte Carlo. Swapping non A/C to A/C dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly McEnaney

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2020
Hello, is anyone willing to share a wiring dia OR know where to get one for the non-a/c and a/c Monte Carlo. I've pulled all the parts from a 84 MC and now need to swap into my 86. It would be nice to know what all the wires do and if my non-A/C car has any needed wires already in the harness . Thanks in advance.

Kelly

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hello, is anyone willing to share a wiring dia OR know where to get one for the non-a/c and a/c Monte Carlo. I've pulled all the parts from a 84 MC and now need to swap into my 86. It would be nice to know what all the wires do and if my non-A/C car has any needed wires already in the harness . Thanks in advance.

Kelly
I am going through the same thing with my '78 Caballero. I have been writing about it in the "what did you do to your gbody today" thread. Just this last weekend I was prepping my future AC dashboard and wiring. My AC dashboard came from an '81 El Camino at the wrecking yard. I happened to find an '81 service manual in the car as a bonus. It has excellent wiring schematics, but the schematics that you can find in a Haynes or Chilton's manual are pretty good too. In fact, the Haynes and Chilton's will cover multiple years and can show you any changes between the '84 and '86. One of the things to also check is the instrument cluster connection if you are swapping to a different cluster. Another thing to check, would be the plug wiring to the vehicle's computer, to be sure that they are the same as your's. With mine this last weekend, I cleaned things up on the backside of the dash, tidying up the wiring loom and identifying the wires that the previous owner cut.
Hope this helps you.

Kelly McEnaney

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2020
I am going through the same thing with my '78 Caballero. I have been writing about it in the "what did you do to your gbody today" thread. Just this last weekend I was prepping my future AC dashboard and wiring. My AC dashboard came from an '81 El Camino at the wrecking yard. I happened to find an '81 service manual in the car as a bonus. It has excellent wiring schematics, but the schematics that you can find in a Haynes or Chilton's manual are pretty good too. In fact, the Haynes and Chilton's will cover multiple years and can show you any changes between the '84 and '86. One of the things to also check is the instrument cluster connection if you are swapping to a different cluster. Another thing to check, would be the plug wiring to the vehicle's computer, to be sure that they are the same as your's. With mine this last weekend, I cleaned things up on the backside of the dash, tidying up the wiring loom and identifying the wires that the previous owner cut.
Hope this helps you.

Hi, thx,
I'll look for the manuals. All I'm changing is the A/C part. the rest of the car is staying the same.Mine is a SS but , back in the day, I ordered it without A/C. Now , as I get older I want to be comfortable with out all the noise of the windows and T tops. LOL

Kelly McEnaney

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2020
I got to thinking ,,,,

Does the A/C compressor not need to shut down in wide open throttle ? I cant see any switching for that to be true ?

Kelly McEnaney

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2020
Thanks all for the info.

During this process, I'm trying to fix some other little issues. One being , after the car starts, there is no power to
the bi-metal coil in the electric choke. Where does it get its power. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor